VideoStreamIn Top failed to open file

Hi there

First of all, it’s been a few weeks I’ve start to work with TD, and I must say this software is amazing. Thanks to the staff for that!

I’m on last 099 build, on a mac under sierra. I’m trying at the moment to use a rtsp stream coming from my android phone’s camera. I use an app called RTSP Camera Server on my phone, and the stream can easily be opened in VLC.

But when I copy/paste the address in TD’s VideoStreamIn (rtsp://:), nothing occurs except this yellow triangle and this message : “failed to open file”

Is this a know issue, or did I miss something ?

I’ve more or less solved my problem for the moment using IP Cam Driver, a small app that emulate a video stream to a virtual camera, and let TD use it as a VideoDeviceIn, but my project would involve multiple streams, so it can’t be the solution.

Any help about this would be welcome

Thanks

any idea ?

I don’t suppose you’d be able to test on Windows just to see if its an RTSP issue or an OS-related one? otherwise might be worth posting in the bug section of the forum.

Looking at this on Windows 10 I’m able to get the video stream TOPs working.

Have tried setting up just a local unit test to see if you can get the ops working? I might start there as a trouble shooting step to first identify if it’s Touch or network related.

Thanks for your answers

@ elburz : I’ll try today on windows an let you know
@ raganmd : I’m not sure of what you mean… the stream open in vlc, so to me there’s to network issue.
Anyway, your answer is the opportunity to thank you for your website and all the courses and tutorials you share there. It’s a great ressource when learning TD.

tested today at a friend’s place, under windows 7 with the 099, and the file still fails to open…

here’s the stream I used : rtsp://mpv.cdn3.bigCDN.com:554/bigCDN/mp4:bigbuckbunnyiphone_400.mp4

it opens in vlc, takes 3 or 4 seconds… no idea of what’s going on there

I can connect to that stream but I’m not getting any video - I do get video from VLC. I can see with an info CHOP that I’m missing every frame in pre-read.

I did get this stream to work:
rtmp://tv.simpalsmedia.com/playmd/70994 … 25a188b9d6

Also - thanks for the kind words.

My suggestion about a unit test is to try setting up a video stream out TOP and a video stream in TOP to see if you can get streaming to work nativly within touch - though if you’re on a Mac you might not have the hardware needed to send out a stream. :confused:

ok, I got it, the point is the videoStreamOut TOP requires a a commercial or pro license… I’m just learning TD, no way to pay a license at the moment. Anyway, it also requires a Nvidia board which I haven’t on my macbook.

It doesn’t work either with the link you posted, num_pre_read_frames stay et 0 in the Info CHOP… I think I’m going to let this on standby for a while.

Obviously, if I keep on working with TD as I do now, I’ll quickly need a desktop computer with a decent GPU and a commercial license. But having limited system ressources is not so bad at the moment, as it pushes me to find the lightest ways to reach my goal.

Hey!

The app that worked for me is called Periscope HD.

If you have an Iphone, it sets up the RTSP url perfectly, with the port number and everything

[url]‎Periscope HD - H.264 RTSP Cam on the App Store

Have fun!

1 Like

I also appear to have this same problem on Mac High Sierra, but with a rather old security cam that I have successfully configured via RTSP for use in OBS. I use it all the time.

I am trying to set up the same camera in TouchDesigner using the same syntax per the VideoStreamIn TOP. But I can’t get it to connect.

Looks like it tries to connect, but then I get an error. This will loop indefinitely. Any suggestions?

1 Like