ArtNET garbage when using Packet Per Channel format

Hi,

It seems everytime I use the DMX OUT chop to send ArtNETwith it’s format set to Packet Per Channel I get random garbage in DMX channels following the last value transmitted by the CHOP.
For example in the following screen capture and TOE I am mapping 3 LFO values to universes 1, 2 and 3 respectively. If I monitor the 3 universes I can see than the first channel of each is indeed changing accordingly to its associated LFO but there is also random garbage values being sent in the following DMX channels. I’ve tried this on two different computers with different networks and network settings with the same result.

If I select the Packet Per Sample format instead the remaining unused DMX channels stay clean.

Any ideas?

ArtNET garbage.toe (4.09 KB)

I’m not seeing that. But I have seen ArtNetominator do weird stuff in unused universes when using it with other Art-Net outputting software and devices. Could just be a display bug for when it stops receiving data for a particular universe or channel.

What version of TD are you trying this on?

Hi Peeet,

In this particular case the garbage is only present in the universes in which TD is outputing something and not in others. I haven’t had the opportunity to try this without ArtNetominator yet so I can’t confirm if it is indeed a TD or an ArtNetominator issue. I’ll see if I can find another ArtNet monitoring tool to confirm.

I’m running TD v62380 at the moment.

Thanks,

So I just tried the same TOE with LumiNet monitor instead of ArtNetominator and had the same garbage values issue after the last used DMX channel. So I don’t think it is related to the monitoring tool. I tried the same thing with actual ArtNet devices and could also see some flickering if I had fixtures addressed beyond the range of interest.

However if I manually define the range to be within 0-511 and explicitly set all values to 0 using a CONSTANT CHOP and then combine the original channel source and this new clean-with-all-zeroes range using a COMPOSITE CHOP I get the expected output (see attached TOE and screen capture).

It feels like all channels which are not explicitly written to in a DMXOUT CHOP are not being initialized to zero and will be given whichever random value happens to be in memory at that moment.

ArtNET garbage fix.toe (4.5 KB)

Thanks for the investigation.
We’ll have a look and fix any issues as you described.
Cheers

Thanks!

So this issue has actually been fixed in version 99.
So I’d suggest using that version when possible, or using your network to send a full packet each frame as you’re doing.

Cheers,
Rob.

Understood, thanks again!