RESOLVED: External Editor Error

Howdy crew… here’s a fun one I’ve been fighting with.

I recently ended up with a new machine for work, and when I try to use an external editor with touch I get the following error:

Capture.PNG

I think this is related to windows and long file paths - and I suspect that that truncated path is what’s killing me softly here. I think I’ve gone through all of the hoop jumping of getting this correctly configured in my group policy as well as in the registry, but this error just doesn’t want to quit.

Has anyone else fought this fight? Solutions?

Setting touch to run as admin now launches sublime, and seems to resolve the problem.

I’m having this problem too. Turned the long filenames on in the registry, running both Sublime and Touch as admin, but still Touch is passing the wrong filename to Sublime.

Do you have the same problem with a different editor (i.e. remove sublime from Preferences->DAT)? Can you post the truncated path as well as the correct path? Lastly, can you post the result of var(‘TEMP’) in the textport and see if that matches your actual temp directory path?

I had this (macOS Catalina) and resolved it by renaming Sublime Text to just Sublime— I think it’s the space in the app name that messes it up.

2 Likes

Wow, thanks! That solved it for me!