Depreciated Override CHOP in panel

I am following a tutorial on Lynda and wiring up some OSC controls, however, I am running into an issue with the depreciated ‘Override CHOP’ field in 099. How can I achieve what is pictured below without using the depreciated field?

Right click to view image in new window…of course…

I could really use a hand here because this is pretty much the last section before I am done on external control with OSC…

I was going through these Lynda tutorials as well and got stuck here, but I found a solution that seems to work even if it’s maybe not the most efficient.

I used a chop called “override” at the end of each pair of control nulls and buttons and then plugged both the button and the override chop into “merge1” and tested and everything worked.

I was also looking at the override CHOP as an option as well just didnt make it that far, very nice! Thanks for this!

What I ended up doing to try to solve the problem was open the exercise file one lesson ahead and it had all of the connections without having to do what you mentioned above and was all hooked up the same. I looked for any TD or Python code in the parameters and found nothing at all, so how the heck are they hooked up!!! A complete mystery to me that can be solver by a .tox export of the controls or now by your solution above. I would love to know the proper way though if anyone knows!

Thanks a lot!

Panel vals can be directly overwritten with a simple python call which allows for a very explicit execution. Here’s a simple example.

Notice how the constant can now be used to override the slider’s position - the chop execute uses the constant’s chan1 val to update the u parameter of the slider.
base_panel_override.tox (1014 Bytes)

My buttons in my on screen UI weren’t being selected with the layout I had before, so I adjusted the placement of the “override” CHOP to be inside of each button, and created an “in” CHOP for the button to bring in the values from each “select” CHOP. It works a lot better - still need to determine a way to have an on screen UI button press for another camera view set the value for the OSC “select” back to 0, otherwise you have to tap another button in OSC and then the one you wanted, toggling it on and off first.

I’ll try the python example posted as well, which might be a lot easier than everything I’ve just done.

thanks for figuring this out guys.

I think you would need to use OSC feedback and send the data back to TouchOSC. It also could be a problem that we are using momentary buttons in TouchOSC and radio buttons in TD.

It seems like Derivative has left the parameter (par.chop) in there though, but with no explicit access to it, other than scripting access. So one way around this could be to make your own custom parameter (par.Chop) and have a parameter execute DAT inside the button comp to set par.chop to par.Chop (see attachment)

Although this may not be future-proof, since Derivative may choose to take the parameter away altogether.

Just out of curiosity, Derivative: Why did you change this? It was a pretty handy thing.

/Jonas
button_with_override.tox (1.51 KB)

We found the implementation in the Panel dialog, clunky and unintuitive, and opted to promote the use of the Override CHOP instead.
It means working in CHOP channels instead of panel values, but ultimately panel values are accessed as expressions or CHOP channels, so hopefully the changes to workflow is straightforward.
Open for more feedback of course.
Cheers,
Rob.

I am following the Scott Paganos Lynda Tutorial and have run into the same issue with the Override CHOP. Have tried the previous suggestions but having no luck.

is there somewhere that explains the most efficient method for doing this?

Thanks,
Ken

guys also please send feedback to Lynda that they update their tutorial…

Thank you guys, I just had the same problem!!!

Dear all,

I went through the same issues. I could not get my head around the ‘override CHOP’. For me the script provided by Matthew works just fine. For the buttons just change the values in the chopexecute DAT (see attached).

When I open the original exercise file from the Scott Pagano tutorial on Lynda with TD 099, the Camera buttons ‘just work’. But I can’t find out how. I had to remove the nulls because they keep connecting with the buttons (see attached capture image). I don’t need to because things are working anyways. But just for ‘clean view/organisation’ sake.

When I select the dotted line it highlights: button1 [ param : chop ]

You might think, ‘why complaining, the buttons are working now right?’, but I believe I’m dealing with something fundamental right now. If I can’t get this splinter out of my mind I think I’m learning something ‘the wrong way’. How is this connected?? Or is it some kind of ‘made in old version, opened with new version’ thing?

Best Regards,

Stefan

base_panel_override.1_with_button.toe (4.47 KB)

Hi Stefan,

I think what you’re seeing is the result of a feature that works, but is no longer supported. As in - you don’t want to break an old feature, but you might remove it because it’s redundant / confusing.

Like you said, I think what you’re seeing is the result of a file made in an old version that still functions in 099, even though that feature is no longer officially supported. Someone from the derivative team might have a better sense of what’s happening here, but that would be my first guess.

Thank you Matthew, that makes sense when I think about it now.

Best regards,

Stefan

Hi everybody,
I also got stuck at Sotts Tutorial and got mad about the issue where you can’t reclick on the previous button, without switching the panel/osc-state. I solved the problem by setting the button type to momentary, giving them two inputs: one input directly from the OSC (where I deleted the Logic-CHOP, so the datastream is momentary) and a second input that gets the active state from a logic-CHOP after the merged buttons.
Inside the buttons the panel-state gets overridden by the osc-state and determines the Out-TOP.
The Expression-CHOP ‘i’, which feeds the Text-TOP(bg) gets fed by a Merge-TOP that consists of the old panel-CHOP-channels PLUS the second input.

tl;dr the radio-button-feature is outsourced to after the merged button-COMPs…

I hope u get my idea :unamused:

camera.tox (2.48 KB)

@Rob
How would you use the override CHOP to trigger the BUTTON?

Many thanks!

i have the same problem.when i learn lynda .there are not such thing ,i just get stucked,i will be very thankful if someone can help

Note overrite work corently. In the CHOP

I encountered this same problem. I fixed it by bringing the null data into the button by using a select chop, and connecting it to the select and out inside the button. Then I merged the select chop I brought in and the panel with an override chop and connected that to the expression.