basic waterfall visualization

Hi All,
I am banging my head on this one, and I know its possible - Im trying to build a very basic waterfall type display using audio spectrum → choptotop.

then Id like to take each single line of pixels, and each from (or at whatever rate) add a new line of pixels, and push the most recent line down, but frankly I have idea how to accomplish this one. I know it must be some sort of cache magic maybe? any pointers would be really super.

thanks in advance…
basicWaterfall.toe (10.1 KB)

give this a look and see if it gets you closer:

basicWaterfall.toe (10.1 KB)

matthewragan.com/2015/05/08/thp … hdesigner/

HI Matthew,
thanks - but i think you re-posted the same network :wink:
cheers
matthew

oh snap.

Sorry about that.
base_waterfall.tox (6.77 KB)

of course, totally elegant solution…i overthink things sometimes…thanks so much Matthew!

Anytime.

If you combine this with Elburz rutt etra example it’s a pretty stunning effect:

github.com/nVoid/rutt-etra-TouchDesigner

Pretty cool! I like the GLSL Material solution and will probably use the TOP to SOP method from your tutorial going forward, Matt, but I was curious (since I am just getting into SOP stuff now) is there a way to delete the lines BETWEEN the first and last points of each line that zag back to the other side at the end of each “zig”? AKA turn the grid - which gets rendered as zig zagging lines - into a bunch of separate lines without those long diagonal switchbacks. I can delete points, and I think I can separate primitives (maybe I can’t?) but I definitely can’t figure out how to keep points but delete the connection between them.

I can get it to work with my own methods using the Trail SOP, but that is processor intensive and finicky; not nearly as elegant as the TOP to SOP method and not nearly as efficient as Elburz GLSL method. I tried instancing a bunch of lines before heading into the GLSL Geo, but then it just applies to the first line and all the rest do the same. :frowning:

Hey Peeet,

I’m not totally sure that I’m following what you’re up to, but I think the answer to your question is in the surface type of the grid SOP. Here’s a quick look at a few different ways to tackle this, and the parameters that have to change to make it work:

container_waterfall.tox (10.8 KB)

It’s worth pointing out that the attribute create is pretty expensive here, and if you’re going for just a wireframe or line look, you can delete that operator and save yourself some cycles. You can also use a convert SOP to change your geometry to particles if you want something a little less joined - though you’ll want to make sure that you’re using a constant material in order to see those render.

For a dense mesh, a vertex shader is definitely the way to go - and the changes in connectivity type will also work there. Bonus, using a geometry shader will get you a low poly look if you’re going to head down the GLSL rabbit hole.