APPLICATIONS
DOWNLOADS
EDUCATION
BLOG
WIKI
FORUM
STORE

camSchnappr 2.0 Beta

Share your components here. First one to 100 wins!

camSchnappr 2.0 Beta

Postby snaut » Fri May 10, 2019 1:18 pm

Hey,

NOTE: this new version of camSchnappr has now been included into the Palette of the latest official build 2019.16600 which can be downloaded from here: https://www.derivative.ca/099/Downloads/

before pushing it into the Palette, I thought I'll give interested people a chance to try it out first here. Also in the hope of getting some feedback :)

Nothing much has changed except a major cleanup / modernization plus the ability to control the whole thing via TouchOSC. Download the touchOSC Layouts from the wiki page here: https://docs.derivative.ca/Experimental ... -_OSC_Page

New Features are:
  • use a Camera COMP as your camSchnappr Project, so you can delete camSchnappr when you are done calibrating
  • shift+click on a point in your output projector moves the selected point to that position.
  • the before mentioned TouchOSC connection. But essentially, you can build your own remote. Have a look at the oscin_callbacks in camSchnappr/osc to see all the methods that are necessary.
  • three additional parameters to make it possible to use projectors that are part of a larger canvas like when using a Datapath or Mosaic.

Details can be found here: https://docs.derivative.ca/Experimental ... amSchnappr

Cheers
Markus
snaut
Staff

Re: camSchnappr 2.0 Beta

Postby bwheaton » Fri May 10, 2019 2:30 pm

Great news!

I will try to test.

One thing that was always a grind, Markus - we always used CS for multiple projectors. A structure with a few cameras and even switching, output to remaps etc was great (and I hand hacked remote access a few times), but what was a real pain:

CS is setup to handle a single projector on a single output, and is pretty awkward to operate on the typical 'mosaic' or x4/fx4 grid. The workaround has been setting the custom pos of the tweak window in each CS instance, and just ignoring the fact that all geometry and touch points are going to be way off. That could well be more of problem with external touch control - it was for me.

Bruce
bwheaton

Postby snaut » Fri May 10, 2019 2:45 pm

Hi Bruce,

ah indeed - ok! That needs to be handled better...

Thanks for pointing it out.
Best
Markus
snaut
Staff

Postby spaghetti » Fri May 10, 2019 4:20 pm

One thing I'd say is that TouchOSC hasn't been updated in a long time. It doesn't fit the format of modern iPhone screens at this point.

There's a new kid in town though, https://openstagecontrol.ammd.net.
You launch it on the computer you're working on then you can access the controls from any device. A laptop, phone, or tablet, just by visiting the page on a browser.
spaghetti

Postby snaut » Sat May 11, 2019 5:44 pm

Hi Bruce,

there is an update on the first post. I have added 3 more parameters:
  • Output is Part of Canvas: Turn on this parameter if your monitor is a larger canvas and the projector only occupies a section of it. For example when using a DataPath.
  • Projector Resolution: Specify the resolution of your projectors
  • Grid Position: Specify which position your projector has on the canvas starting from the bottom left. A second projector might be at Grid Position: [1,0] while a third projector might be at [1,1]

Let me know if this solves the previous issue.
Best
Markus
snaut
Staff

Postby snaut » Sat May 11, 2019 6:03 pm

Hey Spaghetti,

thanks for pointing to openstagecontrol!
the osc messages camSchnappr currently expects are:

• /1/selectPoint: select the next point in your calibration
  • /1/selectPointPrev: select the previous point in your calibration
  • /1/pointCoarse [u,v]: move the point to the specified u,v (normalized between 0 and 1)
  • /1/pointFine/z 1: start adjusting the position of a point by small increments
  • /1/pointFine [u,v]: adjust position of a point by u,v (normalized between 0 and 1)
  • /1/pointFine/z 0: finish adjusting the position of a point by small increments
  • /1/openCloseOutput 1: toggle the output window of camSchnappr
  • /1/selectCamSchnappr 1: select the next camSchnappr

That should work with any osc application you are running. If you are not using OSC, look up the functions in camSchnappr/osc/oscin1_callbacks to map your custom messages.

Hope that helps
Best
Markus
snaut
Staff

Postby reesemurdock » Mon May 13, 2019 3:09 pm

Hey Markus,
Loving this update, but it seems like the Calibrate method fails with the projector resolution set on the cameras. Looks like they're floats when calibrateCamera expects ints for the size.

Also moving away from using shift for a kb shortcut modifier might be a good idea as shift+left or right pauses the project and stars moving the timeline back or forward a frame. Not too big an issue but I've noticed adding points can be funky when the project is paused.
reesemurdock

Postby jacqueshoepffner » Mon May 13, 2019 4:50 pm

Hello,
I just tried the new camShnappr and I cannot use it for some reason
- when I open the main window, there is still a N°0 there, not corresponding to any vertex
- when I put number on vertices, there is a red error on the fifth, /camschnappr/main/renderPick/panelexec1
line 23 int() argument is 'NoneType'
But I love the idea of:
- working left arrow
- OSC commands
Waiting for a working one,
Thanks,
Jacques
Jacques Hoepffner
visual artist, programmer
Isadora, Processing, Unity 3D, TouchDesigner
jacqueshoepffner

Postby jacqueshoepffner » Mon May 13, 2019 4:59 pm

And there is also no number on the output, only on main window
Jacques Hoepffner
visual artist, programmer
Isadora, Processing, Unity 3D, TouchDesigner
jacqueshoepffner

Postby snaut » Tue May 14, 2019 12:20 pm

Ok, no more updates from the train...

• the size for the calibrateCamera was fetched from the output container size which returns floats - cv2.calibrateCamera doesn't like those
  • the lonely 0 in the Main Window is hidden if no points are selected
  • shift+arrow key has been replaced by alt+arrowkey to prevent timeline interaction

Appreciating all the testing!
Markus
snaut
Staff

Next

Return to Shared .tox Components