Focus Peaking, Frequency Seperation.

Simple technique of grabbing the texture layer from an image, I got the idea from Phlearn.

youtube.com/watch?v=ldhG9fmgC7o
Frequency_seperation.tox (614 Bytes)

I find this to be a really slick way of doing focus peaking, as its cleaner than just doing edge detection. Use this for shallow focus DSLR video device in to nail your focus, or see if you have blown out your whites.

Focus_Peaking.tox (3.68 KB)

Thanks! Super useful and I’m also on a post processing high right now, so well done!

Thank you bwanajh! found this at a perfect time, I am working on skin smoothing system and this is extremely helpful, I was taking a different approch altogether, Im going to join the techniques together and I will post my hybrid here when done.

hey bwanajh
So with frequency seperation, Im curious as to how it is supposed to look on the output… with traditional photoshop style FS ive been reading up on the idea is that you get 2 layers to work with and they combine and untouched form the original image, in your tox it feels like you end up with just the high frequency, but then if I follow traditional PS FS I would recombine with a linear light BM, but that gives me a well more saturated image… almost like an overlay BM would… so my questions are: \

1 - Does the color pixel format need to be a certain one?
2 - Is your tox supposed to output an image thats just like the input so you can do retouching on individual frequencies seperately, or is it just an example of getting the High Frequency out.
3 - Is Touch Designers “Linear Light” BM different than Photoshops?

1.Dunno, doubt it

1. Not supposed to do much but get people thinking. I hadn’t been using it for photo retouching, more whole image composites & novel things like the focus peaking (works great with some of my lenses)

2. Ok the reason PS seems different that Touch, is because we aren’t taking into account the method by which Photoshop does its layering. The PS layering process itself is another composite in Touchdesigner.

Frequency_seperation2.tox (1.54 KB)

Check this for a better idea on recomping while using linear light:

I would love to see somebody share Freq separation ------> Custom retouch tool--------> recomposition, this is just the first step.

Awesome, and yes indeed, it certainly got me thinking.

I think “add” works like the PS does, and read it somewhere in my freq seperation research… if the blur settings are right, it does just that, and they recombine perfectly

here is what Im using it for, doing some skin softening like japanese photobooth style.

I got an ok skin softening using a chromakey top and then blur to get the skintone and then using that as a matte for bluring the high freq before mixing them back … I hacked it up a bit and mixing the 2 I can get also kind of get that retro sharpness look.
frequency_seperation_skin_smoother_retro_sharpen.tox (1.49 MB)

This has been very very helpful, thank you!

Brushy_Brushy.tox (5.15 KB)

Hey I’m glad you are playing along. Let’s keep improving this technique.

Here is a basic Freq separation brush made from the leapmotion pallete tool. WIP still, but worth sharing,

right mouse click resets the detail, use the cursor to blur it back.

If the brush comes off kinda fugly, swap the operation order in “eraser” TOP (should work either way)

very nice !