Realtime Projection Mapping with HTC Vive

Hey all,
Just wanted to share a cool technique I just discovered.

If you use the HTC vive tracking and camSchnappr, you can do realtime projection mapping.

Thanks to TD for making this a weekend project.

[video]Realtime Projection Mapping with HTC Vive - YouTube

sorry can’t share the code anymore. It’s pretty easy though if you get some trackers working in touch.

1 Like

hey I say that coming by in my newsfeed somewhere - well done man!

Great idea, the Vive tracking is so good!

• 1 x code! thanks

Count me in for code, cool use of the device!thx for sharing!
Apparently you can also track 4 pads with standard 2 tracking bases that could be very usefull for party style 4 players live repainting 3d mapped room.

+1!!

Really cool stuff, been playing around myself with a 120hz projector, made myself a light sabre out of a cardboard tube and you could hardly see the latency.

FYI the new 099 builds have the ability to decouple the refresh rate of the Vive from TD, so you can actually sample the trackers at high sample rates (I tested at 144hz can got nice smooth data). You just don’t put a OpenVR TOP in the file and it’ll allow the file to run at whatever speed your displays can run at.

Was the headset required to run the system or could you do this with just base stations and controllers?

For the release vive (and the Vive Pre), the headset is where the bluetooth connectors are so you need the headset connected, or you can plug the controllers in via USB. I think for the upcoming Vive Trackers they will have a solution that doesn’t require the headset

Thanks Malcom:)

+1 on the code!

+1 on the code please

• 1 x code thanks!

cAN YOU SHARE CODE FOR THIS?

Hope this tool to get invisible in the future or just smaller :slight_smile: