Video Map Data technique

Hello all, Im sharing this to get feedback on the technique… if anyone could take a look and tell me what Im doing wrong. its well described in text dats, but here is the gist:

(Note, you will need the map video file aswell )

EDIT: EVEN MORE Updated version here:

VideoMap_to_data.tox (1.95 KB)

maptest2 anim codec.mov (578 KB)

[b]
This is a template for a module that I want to duplicate for many different “MAPS” which are small (no compression) video files to whose rgb values is to be converted to data to be used for dmx pixel mapping.

(( yes I know its not the smoothest data, but I will add a very subtle lag when needed. ))

I will share AE template when I have it

[/b]

Fixed it up a lot, uploaded a revision, it works well.

Still very open to feedback on it.

Instead of the trail CHOP, a simple way with less necessary logic could be to use a Texture3D TOP and feed that into a Timemachine TOP. Then you have a full sequence of all frames in one texture which can be converted into CHOPs with the topTo CHOP and fed into your lookup.

This would not require the realtime flag to be off and you only need to reset the the texture 3D if your MAP changes…

Prefilling the Texture3D is a bit strange as the expression needs to contain

me.time.frame

in the index parameter, therefor your timeline needs to be equal or larger the number of frames in the Map movie.

One more thing - I would add a File parameter so you can easily pick the map for each component.

Cheers
Markus
video_Map_to_data.Texture3D.toe (6.78 KB)

Thank you Markus!! , This is brilliant

Quick question:

Could the timeline length issue be resolved if I added a “Time” Component to the component?

I took your advice Markus and updated the module… its super slick now, with tex3d, thanks

Yeah, if you add a Time COMP via the right click menu on the parent Component, you could also set the length of that Time COMP to be at least the same length as the movie.

Cheers
Markus

One thing I’ve noticed with component time is that if you try to programmatically set the timeline Start / End / RStart / REnd of said component timeline, then it will reset itself if you touch any of those values in the UI if/when that timeline is scoped…

Unless I’m doing something wrong…

Regardless I’ve been pretty happy with using speed / timer CHOPs for that kinda stuff as per MRagan’s suggestion.