Playing back animation clips

With the absence of the Sequence CHOP, I no longer see a straight-forward way of playing back a clip. Lets say I import an FBX, with animation takes. In the past I’d just feed them into the sequence CHOP to do things like sequencing and blending… now there doesn’t really seem to be a way of doing that. What’s the best practice for triggering the playback of a “clip” (the full range of a CHOP with one or more channels in it)?

Thanks!

You can use a Lookup CHOP, feed in your channels as one input, and a 0-1 index from a Filter CHOP as the other input.

or a Trim CHOP set to absolute if you want to match your timeline to the sequence you’re playing back.

Either of those ways work for your use case?

The lookup CHOP looks like it might be okay but I’d still need to build a mechanism that counts frames and then divides by the total number of frames in the CHOP to produce an input into the Lookup from 0-1. You mentioned using a Filter CHOP but I don’t understand how that helps.

Also… while I could certainly build something elaborate to make this work, what about clip blending and sequencing? Is the Sequence CHOP ever coming back? I know the Timer CHOP was supposed to be a replacement, but it doesn’t really do any of the things that Sequence CHOP did.

I never really used the Sequence CHOP extensively, so I can’t really relate to what it did.

What you could do is hookup a momentary button to the 2nd input of a Timer CHOP, set the Timer CHOP (or left half box Filter CHOP) to be the right number of frames in length, then use that value as your index for looking up.

Let me know if you need an example.