Chop with mouse position outside TouchDesigner window

This patch gives you a CHOP with the absolute mouse position on a MS Windows machine updated every frame. It also works when the cursor is outside of the TouchDesigner window.

cheers,
Idzard
findMouse.tox (1.12 KB)

2 Likes

Interestingly this doesnt seem to work if your primary monitor is central and you have a secondary monitor to the left of the primary (basically my 3 monitor setup in the office)

The values go a bit crazy

Weird.
can confirm, when I change my dual monitor setup to have the primary on the right, the x value trips out when moving cursor to the left monitor.

Shows you should be a good boy and always make your left monitor the primary one richard.

on nice, thanks for this.
I found out how to solve for the negative X display issue but stacking displays in the Y direction is still a problem.
I added this solve/bandaid and added a color picker.
I always wanted a color picker when a client sends over a picture to copy, hope it’s helpful!

Cheers!
Color_Picker.tox (2.6 KB)

1 Like

Thanks @harveymoon !
that color picker is awesome :slight_smile:
Would anyone happen to know if the same can be done with mouse clicks? I am trying to have my mouse click triggering something while I mess around in other software.
cheers,
juju

That thing where you fail to check the forums before banging your head against a problem, only to discover that you are not alone. Thanks @nettoyeur and @harveymoon, this color picker is exactly what I’ve wanted forever

1 Like

Any method of this for Mac users?:slight_smile:

1 Like

I discovered this when looking at a video by Noto the Talking Ball, discovering it 6 years after it was posted. The color picker from anywhere in the UI (by harveymoon) is great, as is the component within it by nettoyeur that gets a mouse position even when the cursor is outside the TouchDesigner UI. Yes the color picker should be in the palette, and yes the standard Mouse In CHOP should give values outside the TD UI and it should work on macOS too. For now, I’m putting both into Snippets of 2023.10000, cleaned up a bit. Many thanks to nettoyeur and harveymoon.

colorPicker.tox (2.9 KB)

3 Likes