Editors

Please add raster and vector graphics editors (something like mspaint, but with alpha ) when right clicking a 2D node, a waveform editor for audio nodes, and a video editor (like windows movie maker ) for video nodes.

Thanks in advance.

Bye, Ivano.

These are a bit strange requests.
If I look at your posts you seem on a mission to do many different things in only one software package, but there will never be a single software package which will do everything you are looking for.

Professionals pick the right tool for each job, so you can use many different software packages to create your result. So if you want to do graphics or vector editing, start Photoshop or Illustrator. If you want to edit audio, use Audacity, Ableton of dozens of other specialized systems, etcetera etcetera. In the end you can combine all that you made in all those tools to one master artwork :wink:

To be honest, this idea popped in my mind when I saw the geometry editor.
I tought it would be cool to have editors for other things as well.

The beauty of TouchDesigner (and programming in general) is that you can build your own Photoshop, Illustrator, etc if want, and with just the features you need. If you choose to implement your desired features in your own project, and have struggles, the community will probably be most helpful if you ask questions about specific issues you run into.

Otherwise, maybe it’s best to follow Idzard’s suggestion that you use existing tools that focus on your desired feature sets. TouchDesigner itself is more of a development environment than a media editing/authoring suite. If you run into trouble importing assets generated in other software I am sure you will be able to find help here as well.

All told, the geometry editor is a nice tool for quick fixes and I don’t know what the Derivative team has in mind for future feature additions.

Well, in truth, I did post on the forums and the Facebook help page how to create a scene with simple 3D geometry rigged by a bone and animated, but noone replyed.
This to say, community didn’t help me when I had needed.
I know TD is for visual programming, but it would be nice if it had editors (something very simple by the way).

Bye, Ivano.

Ivano, did you see this thread about trying to control a rigged character? You can probably get some examples from there:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6489

Also I generally agree - I’d almost prefer if they cut the geometry editor instead of add other editors. I find scope to be one of my least favorite things about TouchDesigner. Sometimes it feels like there are so many features that aren’t maintained/fully implemented/well documented that it’s just easier to boot up another application in the background to handle the task than it is to spend a lot of time trying to do it in TouchDesigner.

I for one, am waiting patiently for the day that TD can be so damn integrated with everything, I can uninstall windows and just use TD as my operating system.

We say the same thing all-the-time. :smiley:

Ahah so cool.

Geometry Editor is a pretty nice feature. So much feature are legacy from Prims and Houdini : VFX software !
For me the strengthness of Touch is to play 4k+ video on 3D model UV.

hm, I think elburz is right. TD kind of has a problem with old broken stuff. The geo editor and some of the SOPs especially. But I remember rob once asking me about if he should delete some SOP that seemed broken and I voted for no, because it also kind of worked. I have said it many times, I think we need more SOPs, some work on existing ones, and more structured information how to use the ones that we have.(I really tried to go deep on SOPs in my book, but SOP world is a wide territory and it’s periphery is weird and partly broken)
About the editors:
TD is actually doing this anyway. We have the photoshop TOP, we have the new substance TOP, you can always “save as” any data (SOPs,TOPs,CHOPs) and edit and load it, and, thank god, we can choose our external text editor. But yes, it would be great to integrate any 3d modeller in such a convenient way as the 3d editor we have now.

i think Geo Editor (Model Geometry), do a great job to adjust model vertex and poly, it help me a lot of time to fit 3d model, maybe it just need to focus on selection and transformation, not a creation of primitive or extrusion, another software are specialize for that.
Because the topic is on Editor, i think i will be useful to have UV Editor. In 3D projection the real model can have change from the 3D model and it can be a lot of export to find it right, in Touch it’s realtime !

For the SOP, i feel bad because when i learned Houdini, the first things to know is to NOT use SOP Point (in Houdini16 they wrote Old next to) and Python is good for UI and asset database. In Touch i use SOP Point all the time and write python expression every frame.
I know that they are working on SOP, and i believe on their genius !