Parameter COMP

Not sure how feasible this is, but now that custom parameters are such a big feature it would be amazing to have some way of just embedding a component’s parameter window (or just a specific page of one) into a performance interface.

Touch is amazingly versatile for building your own UI systems but a quick and dirty solution for this would be super helpful for prototyping and small experiments.

+1 especially because that would also make the value ladder available in a COMP.

as a stop gap, I’ve used the openParameters call before to solve this problem. It’s in the OP class:

derivative.ca/wiki088/index.php?title=OP_Class

for example:

op( 'moviefilein1' ).openParameters()

Does this help?

great idea, certainly sounds like we could do tis ourselves though! Not sure if I have time, but I’ll try to give it a shot if I’m free

Yep, good tip Matthew. openParameters() is super handy. I use it a lot for selecting video / audio devices, but once you want to be editing more than one or
two components having a ton of floating windows up gets kinda messy.

I feel like if there is some small tweak that would enable this to be put in a COMP it would make a huge difference especially to people just starting out building UIs

Yes!!
+1000

The custom parameter feature is amazing and the way I see it is a step toward “removing” an unnecessary layer which is UI building.

Touch Designer is already a UI by itself
and I always thought that building a UI for patches is a time wasting experience since we could just display a parameter page and then have the UI already made.
It also makes a more powerful UI since you can use expression, exports, and it is neatly integrated with the whole python API.

We need a simple comp that displays a parameter page as a UI.

As a fast alternative, maybe simply add variables to the openParameters() function so that we can open the floating window at a specific position, maybe also with a border on\off toggle.

Just a little friendly bump. This would be making my life sooooooo much easier right now if it existed!

If anyone’s interested I’ve made myself a component that (sort of) does this and has nameable presets but it’s not exactly efficient, and only works for ints, floats, toggles and menus.

github.com/Leskos/TouchDesignerComponents

Parameter COMP is in TD 99, and it’s great. I think one problem is that the parameters aren’t shown in the same order as the original parameter panel. Another improvement would be to add something to switch between pages.

Hi David.
In the current release, the parameters should be shown in the original order, can you confirm or send us a toe file to support@derivative.ca ?
We’re also working on extending the scoping options to include page names, and subsets of pages.
Cheers
Rob.

Yes stand by, we’re working now on improving the Parameter COMP so you optionally display the header, the page headings, which pages you display, which parameters you display, and their order. Also the panel width. Very excited to get this out to you soon!

Made this a couple of months ago, reads the custom parameters of a comp and generates sliders for them. Works with floats and int’s. Im sure it the parameter comp will be the way to go but i thought i share it anyway, maybe its usefull for someone.

Cheers
r
cPar.1.toe (22.9 KB)

Ehrmagerd, this totally passed me by. You guys are the best!

^^ Really nice technique Roy

The new Parameter Component, which lets you display a parameter dialog in a panel, has some improvements, in case you missed them. Scaling, scope- and order-control, bug fixes.

derivative.ca/wiki099/index … meter_COMP