writing/reading 32bit image files

I know this has come up before, but I’m wondering if/when 32bit image reading/writing is to be added. I am creating 32bit images to do fine displacement on large textures, but would rather save the image instead of locking my TOPs and making a huge file size.

Barring that, I know there is a method for scraping out 8bit “slices” of a 32 bit image and reordering them to bring it all back together from 4 8bit images, just a bit of a pain…

Thanks!

I also would really like to be able to export both 32 bit images and movies. That feature would be really appreciated.

088 supports .exr files.

Is there a 32-bit movie format you have in mind?

Hey Malcolm,

I’m actually just more concerned with 32 bit still images, like 32 bit tiffs would be fine (that’s a possibility right?, photoshop supports 32bit tiffs I believe). Writing is as important as reading for me, since I’m generating the texture I need to use in Touch, so need a simple way to get it out as a 32-bit image and then read back in.

Actually I was also going to mention 32bit tiff sequences for movies anyways. I wouldn’t really care about using the movieout top but more the movie export dialog. I would be using it for generating and then saving 32 cubemaps and displacement maps.

cheers
Keith

Is there any update on this? Ability to write a 32 bit tiff, or EXR? Either from the movieout TOP or just the save TOP dialog.

I was noticing that when I bring in a 32bit EXR, it seems to come in as 16 bit. I can bring in an HDR at 32bit, though it doesn’t support alpha (HDR doesn’t right?) but that’s not a huge deal for me.

Old thread, same idea

How do I write out floating point exr/tiff to disk? The save dialog and movie out only seems to do 8-bit…

I need it too, but have no luck …

Is it possible to do with Python or maybe this feature could be added to 88?

I would really appreciate it also.

Any movement here?

Still need a way to save UV maps in 32 bit to disc.

For sure. You can save and open .exr files now.

You can also save into Animation RGB\A in mov container .