MQTT encryption

Love the mqtt support! any chance though that the typical forms of encryption can be supported within touch for safer deployment of always online long term installs and such?

currently if I want to do this, I need to install mosquitto on the computer running TD OR on a raspberry pi etc on the same network, and use that for MQTT and relay that info to Touch via osc or udp etc.

this is a pretty big extra step to have to go through to get encryption support for clients who want that peace of mind.

1 Like

+1!!! I am in the process of working with Lucas to design a public lighting installation that needs to run pixels over city streets for 5+ years. We are allowing administrators to control the pixel presets via a secure web interface that talks to TouchDesigner via MQTT. Normal non-encrypted MQTT traffic is just plain text over TCP. It would be nice to keep this traffic secure so that hackers do not start strobing the lights, etc.

The standard C++ MQTT libraries support TLS authentication/encryption:
Port 8883 is standardized for a secured MQTT connection. The standardized name at IANA is “secure-mqtt”. Port 8883 is exclusively reserved for MQTT over TLS.

More info…
hivemq.com/blog/mqtt-securi … ls-tls-ssl

We would be glad to test this. Thx!