APPLICATIONS
DOWNLOADS
EDUCATION
BLOG
WIKI
FORUM
STORE

Max/MSP Gate operator

Send us your requests for enhancements (RFEs)

Re: Max/MSP Gate operator

Postby Ennui » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:10 am

Delete would work but then surely a select followed by a rename would work for this as well and be less prone to erroring. Either way I'm still not quite sure how that'd work.

I think someone needs to draw this out.
Richard Burns
Ennui

Postby elburz » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:09 pm

There was a question on the Slack i believe about how to route a single audio channels between a bunch of outputs and there are obviously Python ways to do it, but then if you try to do something that simple with native ops, it get's pretty hairy quickly. The example I had made for them used Fan CHOP and a bunch of selects and maths, which is fine, but it's not elegant by any stretch and doesn't scale very well.

I don't think push/pull applies too much here. There are a number of operators that are "always cook" like Filter or Logic, so this could just be another one (although I don't think it does need to be).

I don't think it's just me who is feeling the desire to both push TouchDesigner into less idiosyncratic ninja tricks AND develop elegant best practices to make for a stronger talent pool.
--
Elburz Sorkhabi
Creative + Technology
nVoid Art-Tech Limited
http://nvoid.com
elburz

Postby flowb » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:59 pm

The reason why the push/pull metaphor is relevant here (possibly only to me) is that Touch will want to evaluate an OP chain if it's connected to a live output, and if it gets to an OP that has had it's input disabled because it is currently un-routed, this results in an error.

Hence Ben's question about what 'Off' means.

Correct me if I'm wrong (haven't touched Max in years), but i think that as part of it's Push paradigm (instead of pull/poll) Max has endpoints with no new input data automatically hold the previous input value. This is great for managing things like dc-offset on audio channels for example.

Maybe that means that the best solution here is to make this new CHOP automatically hold the last value that was routed to an un-routed cable by default, with an option to set it to a user defined value (probably zero by default).
flowb

Postby doctorhandshake » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:25 pm

That's a more elegant way of saying what I was trying to get out. It's the behavior I think I'd expect.
Noah Norman
http://hardwork.party

codename: massapequa
doctorhandshake

Previous

Return to Wishlist and RFEs