[099] all versions - palette toggle

So this is just a foible, and maybe an RFE… when you start a new project or open touch for the first time, the first click of the palette toggle doesn’t register… it’s usually the first thing I do, and always bugs me a little :wink:

The icon is not lit up, even though the palette is showing, so maybe it’s a UI thing, it toggles on before you are allowed to toggle it off…

Any chance of having a preference to hide the palette at startup? And also fix this wayward toggle behaviour…

Maybe it’s not a bug… not sure, thank you for listening :slight_smile:

Nick

I actually noticed this in 088 too. If you instead click the little X in the upper right corner of the palette, that’s only one click, though one click more than it should be. It looks like the palette starts shown but the UI thinks it’s starting not-shown. Even better, if you enable “Use Startup File” under General in the Preferences, and point that to a blank file that you’ve saved with the palette closed, it should start without the palette showing, and that’s zero clicks.

I would also vote for a “automatically expand the My Components section” on startup and / or “automatically move the divider between the tree and the components list down to show all items”, kinda like double-clicking a divider line in a spreadsheet so it expands the row/column to fit the largest data… but I understand if these ridiculously long option names might cause the preferences dialog to be too big. :-/

Or maybe tie ALL of the palette’s state (dividers, tree expansion state, selection) to the TOE file, and then you could just further customize the startup TOE.

1 Like

Aha, good call on the “x” button, I’m blind me… thanks for the tip…

Nick

Also don’t try to resize the thumbnail / info view at the bottom in 099 or the list of comps above it will disappear!

Is the palette being deprecated? Am I in the minority being someone who likes it and is trying to get more use out of it? I noticed some new features added in 099 (like a refresh menu option) and everything got moved to Documents instead of the user folder, but I’m not sure if there’s a more accepted way that people collect and quickly access all their comps that I’m just missing.

I’m also starting to experiment with github and somehow linking that to my palette using the github desktop app, but that also feels like I could be wandering too far into using things as they weren’t intended.

Palette is not being deprecated at all, don’t worry. Its ready for a redesign from the ground up which will hopefully happen this year. It will be much more flexible and functional as we’ll be going through all the Palette feedback we’ve received over the years.

^^ this would be great

:disappointed_relieved: :disappointed_relieved: :sob:

At least the thumbnail resizing bug was fixed, though the toggle button state still doesn’t match the actual palette state on startup.

All joking aside, great job on the new 2022.24200 release to everyone at Derivative! So much amazing new stuff - network comments / annotations and Panel COMPs drawing direct alone are game changers…

Also the DMX Out CHOP can now transmit KiNET??? I can finally trash my crappy “KindaNET” UDP out DAT hack!