099.2017.16360 - TD crashing when going in perform mode

Hello,

When going into perform mode, TouchDesigner would become unresponsive or crash (Windows dialog “the program has stopped working”).

Crash:
It appeared on a workstation running 099.2017.16360, with a P5000 and mosaic enabled at a resolution of 11520 by 2160.
When Windows UI scaling is ON at a value that is over 100%, and that the Window COMP is set to DPI scaling = Use DPI scale and Opening size is set to Automatic from COMP/TOP.
Turning off DPI scale, setting it to Native and setting Opening size to Fill location solved the issue.

Unresponsive:
While I was not able to fully reproduce on another computer (running on a 1080), a similar behavior was being observed: TD was not crashing but the perform mode would not start and TD would become unresponsive until pressing on ESC. Turning off DPI scale, setting it to Native and setting Opening size to Fill location solved the issue.

It is not a big deal as my fix allowed me to get the output that I wanted. But maybe it is something that needs to be investigated further or that Derivative will be able to explain.

Regards,
Michel

Just to clarify, does it only happen when DPI scaling is set to over 100% in Windows Display settings? I wonder if it is trying to create a windows that is over the 16k resolution limit of most GPUs.

Hello Ben and sorry for the late answer!

I think you are right, it seems to me that it tries to do this. In my case, before finding the fix, 150% of 12k.

I didn’t know about that GPU limit though, that might be why it doesn’t really crash on the 1080 since it was doing 150% of 4k on that setup.

And yes, it happens when DPI scale is on on the window comp and that the Windows Setting for Ui scaling is at more than 100% (150% in my case).

Thank you for your time!