FIXED: Lights / Shadows bug on MacBook pro

Lights and shadows are still wrong on MacBook pro 2016/2017, running Sierra.
Any news regarding this issue?

Can you confirm your GPU. We are seeing this on Intel 650 GPUs, just want to confirm your specs as well. No update on it yet.

Intel Iris Graphics 540 1536 MB

Just put a sphere, geometry, light in their default position and you get the first image:
You get the light in the render only if you invert the light’s z.
It could seem a workaround, but obviously in scenes with shadows everything appears a total mess… :frowning:

thanks
m.

Just wondering if you could also try experimental build here: derivative.ca/099/Downloads … mental.asp

We are curious if this branch of builds yields different results.

Same behavior on build 20100.

Tested also on a (quite old) Macbook Air 11-inch, 1,8 GHz Intel Core i7, running High Sierra, Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB.
Same issues.

Thanks for double checking. I’ve seen it in a number of workshops as well, but its only a handful of machines. Really annoying none of our Macs in the office are exhibiting this behaviour. We’ll keep looking for a reproducable case.

Hi
I’m following the SF workshop Instancing & rendering techniques part 2 tutorial and I think I’m having the same issue: no shadows on Render view.
I’m running 64-built 2017.16620 on this macbook pro retina early 2013 with OSX 10.11.6 (El Capitan).
If you need more info about my specs, let’s be in touch.
Captura de pantalla 2018-03-24 a las 12.55.14.png

Hi ignacioastorga, If look like you actually have a different unrelated issue. In your Render TOP you are currently viewing the ‘Alpha’ channel only. If you make the Render TOP’s viewer active and then right-click and select ‘Color’, the view will return to normal.

If that doesn’t fix it can you please upload the .toe file as you have it. We have your model of Macbook in the office so we should be able to reproduce any issue. (Except we are running Sierra now on it)

Nevermind ben, it was my mistake all the time jeje

Miyus machines been doing the same bug you mention I noticed. Will find out specs and version she’s running when I get in.

For those still struggling with the inverted lighting of geometry on macOS, there is a partial workaround.

While there isn’t a way to fix the Geometry Viewers, you can fix your rendered output in a Render TOP by going to your Lights and setting the parameter Polygon Front Faces = Back Lit.

I’ve added a workaround for this bug that occurs on Intel GPUs on macOS. The fix will be in builds 2018.24710 or later.

Thanks for the reports and patience with this issue.