MIDI Notes Off By One?

Hey guys, just dipping my toes in this software and I’m having an incredible time!

It looks like TD adds one to incoming MIDI note values and I think that could be really confusing for beginners. Here’s a screenshot with a Max Patch that sends MIDI note 36 next to the Touch MIDI Console reading note 37.

I’m seeing a post that mentions this already, so I don’t mean to prod if it’s a known issue.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4830&p=17450&hilit=midi+note+off+by+one#p17450

I know there’s history around the zero vs one based indexing. But it’s pretty much universally accepted in MIDI specs that C is divisible by 12. I think it would be a good idea to put this behavior behind a “legacy” flag or something in an upcoming release.

Keep up the awesome work!

FYI the MIDIIN Chop has a ‘1 Based Index’ toggle which is handy to switch between 0 and 1 based indexing based on user preference. Doesn’t affect the global midi monitor though.

Found that switch a few weeks later, and it was a major forehead slapper. All the same, I still don’t think that 1-based indeces make much sense incoming MIDI notes. I’d love to see the default for that switch set to off :slight_smile: