FIXED: [Win10|099.13460] External text editor | wrong path

Hi,
At our office, our computers’ users are registered on an Network Domain. This makes our Windows user folder look like this : C:\Users\edorgeville.XYZ-TC
Unfortunately, there seems to be a problem when the external editor is called. No file is opened.
To find out the path given to my text editor i changed the settings to this :

Which gives the following results :

The valid path would be %localappdata%/Temp/touchtmp/dat_CommsClass__td_5532_47.py
Let me know if you need more info about this bug.
Thanks !

Can you set your TEMP variable to the C:\Users\edorgeville.XYZ-TC\AppData\Temp and see if that fixes the issue?

It was already set to “%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp”, changed it to “C:\Users\edorgeville.XYZ-TC\AppData\Temp” with identical results :confused:

Can you confirm that if the TEMP variable is set to a local drive, or if the path’s short path is the same as its long one, then everything is working fine?

If you go to the Variables/Macros dialog and look at the TEMP variable value, is it already the incorrect path? That is the value that we are getting from Windows. If that is the case, can you open up a command prompt and do “echo %TEMP%” and see if you get the correct path there? If you have the correct path there, and you run TouchDesigner from the prompt, do you still get the wrong path when you edit?

You are right, the values from Windows seem to be shortened :

Here’s the result of your tests :

The forum CSS seems to crop the images. Make sure to open the screenshots in a new tab :^)

#1 Set environment variables in cmd and start Touchdesigner from here:

#2 Check Variables/Macros dialog:

Everything seems OK

#3 Create a TextDAT node and try to edit it:

Notice the path in the window title, instead of edorgeville.XYZ-TC it reads edorgeville_XYZ-TC

tl;dr:

• windows generates shortnames no matter what I set TMP and TEMP in the Environment variables system dialog. You can force it in cmd.
  • TD seems to change the dot to an underscore anyway.

Thanks for noticing the . changing in to a _. It appears that, and not DOS short names, is the issue. This should be fixed in build 2017.14260+ or later.

In the meantime, here’s a work around. You can make a symbolic link to your tmp directory and it should link to the proper network directory. The command is “mklink /D symbolic target_directory”.

Hope this helps, and thanks for you patience with sorting this out.