FIXED: 088 & 099 - crash when opening window on...

Hi,

I have a reproducible bug, where every time I open a new window (with a window COMP) to the external monitor it crashes TD on both 088 and 099. Window Comp is set to Single Monitor, with the proper int.

It will also crash if I drag TD from my main monitor to the external one, sometimes.
It will also crash if I make the new window on the main monitor, and drag it to the external one.

Details:
I have a new computer. It worked on my old one with the same monitor set up.

New Computer: GTX1080, i7-7820HK @2.90GHz, Windows 10 Home vers 1703 64 bit, 32 GB RAM.
Old Computer: GTX980M, i7-4710HQ @ 2.5GHZ, Windows 10 Home vers 1607 64 bit, 24GB RAM.

I have the Nvidia settings extending displays horizontally, as described here:
derivative.ca/wiki088/index … e_Monitors

I have reinstalled Nvidia drivers a few times, to no effect.

This is obviously a huge problem for me. I am performing often, and I have to use this new computer. (the old one returns to it’s owner).

Any tips at all welcome. I’ll be at it all day trying to fix it for the weekend.

Oh yeah, maybe this information helps also:

New Computer Model: Asus ROG G701V-IK-BA45T
Old Computer Model: Asus ROG G751J

More details:
088 is build 62610 (i have an educational license)
099 is build 2017.10000 (i have a non-commercial)

Hello, we’re sorry to hear your new computer is not cooperating. Is TouchDesigner producing any .dmp files when the crash occurs? If so can you send them to us, we can look at where it is failing.

If you set your project up “to start in Perform mode”, does it also crash or is it only when you launch a new window?

Unfortunately, since its happening in both 088 and 099 which are quite different, I’m leaning towards it being an issue with the setup. It is hard to know what is happening here.

Are there things you can try to enable/disable, like the G-sync function? or set the refresh rate down to 60 Hz. There is probably a bunch of Asus gamer-bloatware installed on that laptop as well, if I had it I would can to do a clean Windows install without that stuff but that is a difficult recommendation to make when you need to to run right now! But if the harddrive is easily accessible and you had an extra one lying around, you could try installing bare-bones Windows on a different drive just to see (takes about an hour). If it doesn’t change anything then swap the drive back.

It seemed to hang for ever, so I always killed it. It never made a .dmp.

Crashes in both perform mode, and in edit mode.

It did end up being a set up issue, see below ~

Tried that, no effect.

Tried that, also no effect.

This is what ended up being the problem. I didn’t do a fresh reinstall of Windows, but my partner and I went through all the installed programs and drivers and deleted anything that looked like Asus bloat-ware. We did it all in one go, and didn’t document it properly (much regret) but everything worked fine after that! 0 problems. 100% Asus bloat-ware problems. I suspect it was a Asus brand game streaming feature, since that was the most video related one we deleted. Other ones were useless things, like a driver which makes extra artificial bass (gross).

I find this problem interesting because it only effected TouchDesigner. Other software seemed fine being open across two monitors, and moving between them. So what was it? I will never know. If you have the same problem as me, I think fresh new Windows or delete everything Asus (non-critical) is the best solution.

THANKS BEN!

PPS. We fixed it the morning of the performance, and I ended up being able to perform without any issues at all!