FIXED: Video Stream In /Not rendering + TD crash

Hello,
I’m working on different projects where I will need to capture some rtsp stream over internet and really get in trouble.
see this post as well : [url]VideoStreamIn Top failed to open file - #7 by raganmd - Beginners - TouchDesigner forum

1. some stream won’t render in TD. connection seems ok , video resolution … but missing every frame in pre-read : rtsp://184.72.239.149/vod/mp4:BigBuckBunny_175k.mov
    then if you change the URL or hit reload , TD crash immediately without any warning.
    this stream work fine rtmp://tv.simpalsmedia.com/playmd/70994446-de92-402b-ad45-ee25a188b9d6

2. connecting an info chop, the parameter’s list exposed are very inconsistent according the state. That make difficult to monitor the stream as some parameter can just disappear.
    With a good connection, you get connected / connecting that disappear from the list with a connection failed.

088.62610 64
GTX980 - 382.05
thanks

xavier

Hi Xavier,

i can’t open the stream even in VLC - were you able to connect?
When TouchDesigner crashes, does it create dmp files you could send us?

Cheers
Markus

Hi Markus,

This one works for me in VLC : rtsp://184.72.239.149/vod/mp4:BigBuckBunny_175k.mov
Even with TD, it connects “somehow” / open = 1 / I get the stream resolution in the info chop …/ but miss all the frame (pre_read_missed and hard_drive_timeout counting)
What I have noticed ( as show in the screen capture) in that case the parameter in the info chop is : open = 1 . With a working stream is : connected = 1 . I don’t know if it plays any role
no dmp file created , TD just close suddenly without any prompt .

xavier

I can definitely reproduce the crash and we’ll have a look at that.
But I still can’t open the stream in vlc - it returns an error:

live555 debug: RTP subsession 'audio/MPEG4-GENERIC'
live555 error: SETUP of'audio/MPEG4-GENERIC' failed liveMedia3
live555 debug: RTP subsession 'video/H264'
live555 error: SETUP of'video/H264' failed liveMedia5
live555 debug: setup start: 0.000000 stop:596.458000
live555 error: Nothing to play for rtsp://184.72.239.149/vod/mp4:BigBuckBunny_175k.mov
core debug: no access_demux modules matched
core debug: creating access 'rtsp' location='184.72.239.149/vod/mp4:BigBuckBunny_175k.mov', path='\\184.72.239.149\vod\mp4:BigBuckBunny_175k.mov'
core debug: looking for access module matching "rtsp": 21 candidates
core debug: net: connecting to 184.72.239.149 port 554
core debug: connection succeeded (socket = 1940)
access_realrtsp warning: Cseq mismatch, got 1, assumed 0
access_realrtsp debug: rtsp connected
access_realrtsp warning: only real/helix rtsp servers supported for now
core debug: no access modules matched
core error: open of `rtsp://184.72.239.149/vod/mp4:BigBuckBunny_175k.mov' failed
core debug: finished input
core debug: dead input
core debug: changing item without a request (current 0/1)
core debug: nothing to play
qt4 debug: IM: Deleting the input

Best
Markus

strange that it doesn’t work for you in VLC.
Anyway, I made some test with some Wowza streams and I get the same result.
I’m just wondering if it has to do with the file extension .mp4 as it happened on my side only with those kind of stream’s name.
As it is some hot stuff for me :mrgreen: , I will try to investigate to narrow the problem to help and get a fix asap

thanks

xavier

to follow up and I hope that can be helpful to track the issue. We made some test with 2 different wowza servers.
videosreamin1 doesn’t render any frame, even if connected (Wowza on a Mac)
videostreamin2 works as expected (Wowza on a PC w10)

See below :

1. connected in both case ( get the file resolution) but pre-read_misses + hard_drive_timeouts / no image rendered in the one above.
  2. the set of parameter in the info chop are completely different .
    info 1 = opening and open
    info 2 = connecting and connected

I really hope you will find soon a fix

thanks

xavier

Hi Xavier,

we are looking at the crash - what’s your timeline with the project?
Is there a possibility to transcode it on your side?
I was able to make it work by streaming into VLC and streaming it out locally setting the Profile to:

Encapsulation: MP4/MOV
Video Codec: H-264
Audio Codec: Disabled

Do you think this might work in the shortterm?

Best
Markus

Hi Markus,

The timeline is very tight. this is for some live 360° streaming for an event . We cancelled the demo today

I will try your solution with VLC tomorrow . ( encoding is the issue ?)

Anyway I’m sure you are doing your best .

thanks

xavier

This will be fixed in the next builds we post.