FIXED:"Allow Scripts to run System Commands" pref issue

088 Build 62610
099 Build 2017.5940

The radio buttons that used to appear under the “Allow Scripts to run System Commands:” label have disappeared in recent builds of both 088 and 099.

Example from latest builds with label text but missing radio buttons:
derivative.ca/wiki099/images/b/b … eneral.png

How the radio buttons previously appeared below label text:
derivative.ca/wiki099/images/arc … eneral.png

We no longer offer that option, as it isn’t relevant given how open ended python is.
Are you looking to allow or disallow some commands?

Hi Rob,

Sorry for such a delayed reply.

I am not trying to use this feature. Since this feature no longer exists, I’m just pointing out a UI bug. The Label text indicating “Allow Scripts to run System Commands:” should be removed. It’s confusing to see this text for a non-existent feature, then directly underneath see [ ] “Hide Splash Screen” --something completely unrelated.

This is still present in the latest build of TouchDesigner, Windows 64-bit Build 2017.10940

Thanks!

Oh Im sorry, I misunderstood.
We’ll clean up that UI remnant.
Thanks for posting.
Cheers,
Rob.

This has been cleaned up for the next build.

might also want to clean these up in the docs, like here:
docs.derivative.ca/Dialogs:Preferences_Dialog
or also mention that it no longer exists

Thanks for reporting that, removed it from the docs.

Seems like you need to update a lot of documentation. I’m seeing references to setting this option on pages like this:

This is confusing the heck out of me as to how to actually run System Commands? Do they still exist?

I can’t get any of the examples to work:
system ls "C:/Program Files"
system dir "C:\Program Files"

“System” doesn’t seem to do anything at all… Has this been replaced? Is there a new way to interact with the system?

Hi @goblynn93, Tscript has been deprecated from TouchDesigner for many years now. The documentation is still available for those troubleshooting old projects, but we try to steer people well clear of it and do not link to it from many places.

Any scripting you do today in TouchDesigner should be in Python. You can find the launch page for Python help here: Category:Python - Derivative

Are you working on an old project that uses Tscript? If so, we can probably help answer your question or even better show you how to convert that to a Python approach.

When I google and find things like the Tscript documents how do I know its deprecated?

I was googling how to launch external apps and scripts, not realizing I should use Python for that, and the results led me to System Command. I struggled with it and more googling found me Tscripts. None of my googling told me to use Python. I moved over to pure Python and figured out how to do it there and was able to move that into Touch. My issues at this point are for a different post.

I am not working in an old project. I started with TD a long time ago but I’ve only just started really doing projects with it. At this point I am basically a “new” user with a decent grasp on (most of) the basics. So much has changed since I first started with Touch!

Is there a way to search the forums? I haven’t found any way to do it other than starting a new post and getting “this is similar to:”

Thanks for the help!

Thanks for your feedback, we’ll think about how to add a deprecated tag or something more obvious for people landing on those pages.

You can search the forum by using the search icon in the top left beside your avatar.

Damnit. Its amazing how often Touch answers are staring me in the face but my brain can’t see it because I am used to something else/stuck trying to look at things a certain way/different way.

Thank you for that. I feel kind of silly for not seeing that!

Not problem, feel free to ask anything anytime