099 2017.5940 - flipped rectangle normals

Windows 10
GTX 1060

TouchDesigner 099 2017.5940

There might be a larger legacy here that I’m not seeing, but I wanted to at least share a quick observation.

The rectangle SOP when set to ZX Plane orientation represents normals as projected down the Y axis. The resulting normals are:
N(0) 0
N(1) -1
N(2) 0

A grid SOP (primitive type polygon or mesh) similarly set to a ZX orientation has normals projected up the Y Axis. The resulting normals are:
N(0) 0
N(1) 1
N(2) 0

A circle SOP (primitive type polygon) similarly set to a ZX orientation has normals projected down the Y Axis. The resulting normals are:
N(0) 0
N(1) -1
N(2) 0 (actually -4.37114e -8, but I think we can call that 0 for this question)

I don’t know that this is actually a bug, it just caught my attention as I was trying to sort out a few bits in a GLSL material where I was seeing expected results with one geometry type, but not another. Is the grid SOP the outlier here, or am I missing a larger principle in how to think about geometry types and their normals?
base_rect_normals.tox (878 Bytes)

Doesn’t look like you are missing anything, seems like an odd one. Looking into it further and will report back.