The Revolve SOP revolves faces to create a surface of revolution. The revolution's direction and origin are represented by guide geometry that resembles a thick line with a cross hair at the centre. The cross hair represents the origin of the revolve as entered in the dialog and the stick represents the direction. Changing any of these parameters will cause the guide to change appropriately.
If the guide geometry is too distracting, you can disable it by entering the Viewport options dialog and clicking on the Guide geometry button so that it no longer appears indented. This procedure is global and will disable the guide geometry of other SOPs as well.
Parameters - Revolve Page
/surftype - This option is used to select the type of surface, when using a Mesh Primitive Type.
- Rows - Creates horizontal lines.
- Columns - Creates vertical lines.
- Rows & Cols - Both Rows and Columns. Looks like Quads in wire frame display, but all polygons are open (if the primitive type is polygon).
- Triangles - Build the grid with Triangles.
- Quadrilaterals - Generates sides composed of quadrilaterals (default).
- Alternating Triangles - Generates triangles that are opposed; similar to the Triangles option.
/originx /originy /originz - Coordinates defining the origin of the revolution.
/dirx /diry /dirz - X, Y, and Z coordinates of the direction vector defining the direction of the revolve.
Convert Mesh to Polygons
/polys - Changes the output mesh to consist of individual polygons.
/imperfect - Applies to splines only. If selected, the results are approximated nonrational curves, otherwise they are perfect rational curves.
Parameters - Detail Page
/type - Determines how the revolve should be generated.
- Closed - An enclosed curve.
- Open Arc - An open curve segment.
- Closed Arc - An open arc with connecting edges to the centre resembling a slice of pie.
Start / End Angles
/angle - The start and end angles of the revolve. A revolve will start at the beginning angle, and proceed towards the ending angle. If Beginning =
0 and End =
360 it will be fully revolved. Values greater than 360 are also valid.
/divs - Density of the resulting mesh surface.
/order - If a spline type is selected, it is built at this order.
/cap - If selected, it adds faceted end caps