APPLICATIONS
DOWNLOADS
EDUCATION
BLOG
WIKI
FORUM
STORE

timeBase - a Multi-Layer Timeline Component

Share your components here. First one to 100 wins!

Re: timeBase - a Multi-Layer Timeline Component

Postby jmt4zj » Thu May 10, 2018 2:40 pm

Quick python script to fix the above issue globally -
Code: Select all
for operator in op('timeBase').ops('scene*/layer*/movieEngine/evalAddEngineId'):
operator.par.extractrows = 2
operator.par.rowindexstart = 1
Jonathan Thompson
@pointshader
http://particularexperienc.es
jmt4zj

Postby jmt4zj » Thu May 10, 2018 3:05 pm

Also in some of the scenes the 'select1' and 'chopexec1' nodes are bypassed, so the external time control functions don't work properly until these are un-bypassed.
Jonathan Thompson
@pointshader
jmt4zj

Postby greg » Thu May 10, 2018 6:02 pm

There is a strange change of behavior from a few months ago when this was posted, I'm investigating why it is occuring. Update: It's a TouchDesigner bug that we are fixing.

In the meantime: All the layers have a DAT: /timeBase/scene1/layer1/movieEngine/evalAddEngineId which needs its Include First Row turned Off.

Or use the nifty script from jmt4zj in an earlier post.

There are also on startup a bunch of errors from a device menu of Audio File Out. The are innocuous warnings, you can just save the file out and it will not appear again. We're fixing that so the error doesn't appear in the first place.

If it turns out to be necessary, I will post a modded version of timeBase ASAP.

PS here is another script that does the same thing:

for evalop in root.findChildren(name='evalAddEngineId') :
   print(evalop.path)
   evalop.par.firstrow = 0
   evalop.par.firstcol = 0
greg
Staff

Postby greg » Fri May 11, 2018 2:18 pm

Using the next build coming out later today, that TimeBase.2417.toe that was posted on Jan 31, 2018 will again come up with no errors and no startup warnings. For those of you who are using that TimeBase.2417.toe with a build between March and today who got the errors, you would have (had) to apply the above-noted fix. Sorry for the inconvenience.
greg
Staff

Postby jmt4zj » Fri May 11, 2018 4:43 pm

Another note - I'm converting this component to slave to LTC, and for the moment running the project at 30fps to avoid glitching isuses with the timer CHOP while running off of a local TIME slaved to incoming LTC. However, this reveals that the movieEngine components don't respect their parameter to switch to frame/second/fraction modes, looks like there's no logic to handle that parameter change. There's already a chop in all of the movieEngines with the correct seconds available, so to make the change as a hotfix:

for operator in ops('/timeBase/scene1/layer*/movieEngine/movieEngine*/moviein'):
   operator.par.index.expr = "op('mvsec')[0]"
   operator.par.indexunit = 'seconds'

The more I keep digging the more depth I find in this component, Greg. Thank you for releasing such a huge amount of work to the Touch Community! In the future, would you consider tracking the development of this on Github? I have quite a few ideas for features and some ways to refactor to allow for greater flexibility, and would be interested in merging in some of the features I'm currently adding on to my copy of this component for public use.
Jonathan Thompson
@pointshader
jmt4zj

Postby jmt4zj » Mon May 14, 2018 5:23 pm

Hmmm, I seem to be having issues with instant crashes of touchdesigner with no autosave when trying to delete elements with start times outside of the total time of the timeline, but then those elements are preventing other elements from working on the timeline.

I don't run into complete hard crashes of touch without at least an autosave often - any ideas on what would cause something like this?
Jonathan Thompson
@pointshader
jmt4zj

Postby jmt4zj » Tue May 15, 2018 12:12 pm

To avoid crashing when deleting element, ensure that they're inside of the current range of the timeline, this seems to avoid issues.

As a separate issue, any overlapping elements can potentially disable that entire layer from functioning properly in certain situations. So if you randomly get black output on a layer, ensure you don't have any hidden elements completely obscured by other elements. Making a list/dat of all the current elements with start/stop times helps diagnose this.
Jonathan Thompson
@pointshader
jmt4zj

Previous

Return to Shared .tox Components