How to tear a grid into pieces like puzzles in TD

Hi all, I wanna ask how to tear a grid into pieces in random shapes, like a voronoi effect, or a puzzle effect. I want every piece can be rotated separately.

I have tried using instancing to copy many little grids and rotate them separately, but fail to change the shape of each grid.

Should I use instancing in this case?
Any ideas?

like this

1 Like

Hi,

Not a TD master here, but i would try to create the grid into the SOP world and use Facet SOP to separate primitives ?

Thank you! I changed the positions of the points inside the grid and use the facet sop and primitive sop as you said. It works! Thanks so much!

Hi KuraMatata,
can you please post an example? Thanks a lot!!!

puzzles_in_random_pieces.tox (2.44 KB)

I use a table to store the new points’ positions and use a Datto SOP to change the points’ positions. I don’t know if it is a good way to do it. If anyone has a better method, please share :smiley:

cool!
Here’s a variant using only SOPs. As the Noise SOP works in the direction of the normal this setup has two Noise SOPs, first is for the normals, second the point position. The Point SOP makes sure there is only noise in X and Y direction, not Z.
primitives_from_grid.tox (1.53 KB)

Nice stuff!!
That got me playing a bit with the idea

The fractalSOP breaks the grid into triangles, then by using two passes of point normal noise + position noise (one bigger ‘general’ distort and one smaller to add angles) it ends with tiles that aren’t too bad (but still quite different from the original post image)

prims from grid edit.1.toe (4.85 KB)