TDAbleton - TouchDesigner Ableton Connection

What Max For Live was for the plugins that need to be incorporated into Ableton, like the tda midi.

Thank you

System requirements are in the wiki and at the top of this post

Hello good day, I have a query.
when the midi notes of touchdesigner are sent to ableton, for some reason these can not be written on the piano if I start recording the midi channel. as the image shows.
I’m using the abletonMIDI1 component of TDAbleton.

The idea is to be able to send midi pulses, and have these recorded on the piano.

Thank you.

abletonMIDI sends MIDI directly into the track chain. It basically appears wherever the TDA_MIDI device is, which is after the point where it would be recorded from an external source.

In order to record the signal, you can send the MIDI from the receiving track into a different MIDI track and record it. If you don’t know how to do this in Live, please start a new support thread with the question and I’ll go into detail.

@Ivan Is there a way to do some math to convert that osc data that is incoming from the new TDA_Audio_Analyzer max patch to look like incoming audio data like you would expect from a audiofileIN chop or audiodeviceIN chop?

The audio analyzer is sending level data, so it is really nothing like audio file in data, which is actual wave forms

Documentation coming soon!.

Gracias, me funciono enviando la señal midi desde el canal A, al canal B.

Latest TDAbleton 1.9.0 is posted here and provided in the current official builds (20k +).

Notable new features are documented here:

I tried to be brief with the documentation so please post any questions or clarifications you need!

Uploaded 1.10.0 - wiki coming soon

-abletonRack upgrades including:

• OSC connection directly in and out of M4L
  • smoother, lower latency messaging
  • CHOP input for fastest possible parameter control

-autofix option for duplicate name problems

Hi Ivan,

First, thanks for such an amazing bridge :slight_smile: !!

Is there support for Ableton 10 yet, or just version 9.7.2 and above?

Have gone through all the same installation processes for Ableton 10 and can’t seem to get a connection. All good if not supported yet, just curious.

Thanks

I have been working in Ableton 9 to make sure it stays compatible. But Rui Gato and others have been working in 10 and say it works fine. So it’s not a version problem. Have you tested the same exact setup with 9 and it works?

Got it working. Was a bit rusty and forgot to select TouchDesigner from the Midi Control Surface menu. (reminder to slow down and read the instructions :confused: )

Just curious if its possible to control Ableton Track Sends via any of the TDableton components?
Seems the closest thing is Pan control using the AbletonTrack component.

Is it simple to add Send control, or does this require a deep dive into the extension class.

Some more info on my goal - I’m looking to build a multi-channel audio mixer in TD to control sends in Ableton to route audio to a speaker array.

Thanks in advanced for any suggestions

I’m pretty sure you’ll be able to get at it with the abletonValueListener component. Send a screenshot of the exact UI element you want to control and I can be more helpful.

I looked into the abletonValueListener component, and took a look at how its used in the example project. The example project shows the metronome being controlled, and seemingly to do so requires “SONG” to be entered in the Append To LOM Expression field, and “metronome” to be entered in the Property field.

If navigate through the drop downs to select the Send parameter I want to control it shows default LOM and default return addresses above and below the previously described fields. Must I specify what to append or what the property is? The entries I’ve tried haven’t worked.

Thanks in advanced.

@chris1144

Hey sorry, I overcomplicated it for you because I misunderstood what you were after. Just use the abletonParameter Component. Set it to your track, # Mixer # device, and whichever Send you want. Currently you have to use one abletonParameter component per Send.

@Ivan

Ahh - thanks for pointing that out! Seemingly didn’t dig deep enough into all the components. Will be using at least 12 abletonParameter Component’s to control all the sends :confused:

Since we’re on the topic, could you clarify the abletonValueListener Component, and when its best practice to use this?

If you just want to watch the sends, you can get all of them with abletonDeviceParameters set to # Mixer #. If you need to control them, you’ll have to use individual abletonParameters. My next update will include a Max device that controls multiple parameters, so be on the lookout for that in the next few days.

The abletonValueListener is made to access obscure parts of the Live Object Model that don’t have specific components associated with them. To use it effectively, you have to learn how to write the expressions that access the value you want. You will see the expression created by your LOM parameters in the Default Expression parameter, then you can append code to that with the Append To LOM Expression and property Parameters.

Very much looking forward to that multi-parameter Max device. Thanks for developing that!

Re abletonValueListener: Got it. I figured it was for the more individualized parts of live. Will look more into appending LOM parameters incase that’s needed. Thanks for explaining.

No problem. Will be easier to explain with a specific case if you run into one. Basically, the expression created is sent directly to Ableton Live’s Python, so will look just like something created using this: julienbayle.studio/PythonLiveAP … ive9.6.xml, with the addition of a few macros I created for convenience, notably “SONG” which gives you access to the Song.Song object in that documentation.