Laptop or Desktop?

When using Touch, would you prefer to work on a laptop or a desktop/workstation?

New laptops are getting 1 Gig of video memory on the Nvidia GeForce 9600GS.

I’m looking specifically at the ASUS M50VM-B1 Core 2 Duo (2.5Ghz, around $1500).

More ram the better, right?

Will wait until Touch is officially released before I purchase.

Currently I’m using a laptop mostly because I need to move around the house when looking after the baby. I also end up snatching some worktime in cafes when the little angel is asleep in his stroller - before he ceases being a little angel and wakes up - or til the battery runs out.

touch plus laptop goes through batteries like a chainsaw through butter.

Ideally would like a 1 laptop 1 desktop licensing scheme like Max does. :slight_smile:

Rod.

I thought they were coming out with laptops which had a dedicated graphics card and an integrated graphics unit so the user could select either depending on their processing needs. This would save on power consumption.

that’s interesting about having dual graphics systems for touch and not-touch. :slight_smile:

I have some reservations as to whether 1Gb of graphics RAM will currently be much help since I believe that there are still bottleknecks in how fast we can read and write RAM on a graphics card, especially on a laptop.

I’m not an expert though, so I would be happy to be corrected on this.

Rod.

I have some reservations as to whether 1Gb of graphics RAM will currently be much help since I believe that there are still bottleknecks in how fast we can read and write RAM on a graphics card, especially on a laptop.

Yeah, me too which is why I’m posting this. Should I always purchase the latest card available with the most RAM?

What bottleneck you hit is entirely dependent on what your scenario is. I’ve personally never experienced a memory bandwidth bottleneck that rodney mentions. If you are using 1 gig worth of textures all at the same time (i.e in a single render TOP). Then ya you’d likely hit this bottleneck.

Without any other information, buy the best card you can afford and it’ll be able to do more without hitting certain bottlenecks than a cheaper one.

Sorry I can’t give a better answer than that.