088: Map an object with CamSchnappr

YAY! it’s like my dreams came true! :smiley:

Wow, very nice work! Markus strikes again!

this made my day, thanks for putting the work in!

just tested out the isam model with a virtual scenario, works like a charm, just had to reduce the map point model so it had only the points i’d consider using to keep the UI speed up

very excellent :slight_smile:

Legend! that takes the sting outta mapamok

chrs!

Sweet! Great job man. This is amazing!

Thank you for using your amazing skills to help us lesser mortals Markus. Your awesome as usual.

Hi Peter,

out of curiosity, how many points did the original model have?

cheers
Markus

Hi archo-p,
Any chance you can share some of your insight on your workflow to reduce points in the model?

Currently I am using meshmixer to remove unused geometry in my 3D scene, and netfabb studio to repair and reduce the number of polygons in my mesh. This greatly helps but the scenes I am practicing on are still barely manageable. Any advice is greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Hi emintzer,

how many points does your test scene have? Would like to get a sense of what size of models we are dealing with…

would a plausible solution be to use the Delete SOP to remove points you possibly won’t be using for the mapping process?

cheers
Markus

Markus,

The original mapping model was 240 points, after consolidating, and only dealing with the faces to be projected on, so as few as possible really given the complexity.

Testing out camSchnapper, I just isolated the few primitives that had points I knew would be useful for targetting, down to 104 total points. I’ve been doing this for other projects too, pre-camschnapper, in order to only give my self points that would really work (ie. corner points of sliced curved surfaces and such, where an internal surface point would be of no use).

It actually still ran decently leaving all 240 points, but definitely sped up and more straight forward with less than half as many. I’m sure for stuff like car mapping, people will really have to isolate those points!

Emintzer,

As Markus said, I think you can literally just go in and pick the points that you care about. I isolated certain primitives with good points in houdini and grouped them, so i could just delete non-selected. As long as the points/prims you are isolating remain exactly where they are on the full model it doesn’t really matter how chopped up and disconnected that point picking geometry becomes, as long as you yourself know which points correspond to the full model. Does that make sense?

-Peter

Markus,
just about 18,000 points! lol :stuck_out_tongue:

Peter,
Thank you for the tip. This makes sense and worked great! In fact, I found it easier to view points in TD and use the delete SOP to isolate my points as opposed to using 3rd party software as I first tried.

Oh im going to have fun with this. Thanks both^ :slight_smile:

Awesome!

First, thx for this! Use it a couple of weeks and verry happy with it…

But I have problems using CamSchnappr in aktuell TouchDesigner versions (since 6360). It dont catch all points from given SOP and the flags with the Numbers are not working correctly…

Also the calibration process seems broken… When i look to the network, everything seems ok, nor errors or something. Any solutions?

fHainer

P.S. Sorry for my english, i know it could be better :confused:

Looks like CamShnappr is partially broken in build 6360 (I’m not sure about build 6580 because it is crashing projects from older builds).

Basically I’ve found two things so far:

• not all the points are showing for the selected SOP
  • there is a rectangle artifact appearing in the render view similar that looks the same as the grid that appears when a GLSL shader is not working.

I’ve tracked down where the points are being rendered be there doesn’t seem to be anything wrong except they aren’t displaying.

The point problem looks like it’s happening in the sort CHOP at with path - CamSchnappr/pointDisplayPicking/sort1 . It seems to many points are being removed. I’ve disabled it to see how that will work for now.

It looks like it’s more than points just not showing up. It’s not making a matrix at all for the camera.I haven’t been able to fully track it down but it looks like it has something to do with instancing. I’m going to roll back to an earlier version of Touch just for this project for now but I think something is broken in the geometry comp instancing section.

cheers
Keith

My workaround:

I use an early 32bit version of Touch to calibrate the camera und just copy&paste the CamComp to the newest 64bit version.

also the sort DAT is causing a problem

Hi Andrew.
We’ve made some recent changes + fixes to the Sort DAT which will be posted shortly.
Hopefully that addresses that particular issue.
Thanks,
Rob.