Air Scan

Air scan? anyone use this? How well does it integrate with touch?
Is it easy or is this a Pandora’s box only integration thing? Likes ~ do not likes? Alternative Ideas welcome ~ heart emoticon ~ much graditude

Hi,

I was actually an R&D wonk at the US coolux distributor when they first started tooling around with this thing.

The coolux widget designer really simplifies working with it. I think if you wanted to integrate it into touch without the wd you’d have to write your own implementation of their protocol parser. If you were to buy the airscan from coolux instead of leuze, you could also just buy a wd license and then use the widget to parse airscan data and forward relevant data to touch.

as for how it works, it’s rock solid. you get (from what i recall) up to 10 blobs you can track on 2 axis in a 60 foot radius.

Looks like the device supports TUIO as well as WD - so you might be able to use the TUIO In DAT…

coolux.de/products/airscan/

J

I’ve seen these, or similar laser scanner devices, used in several TouchDesigner interactive installations by VT Pro Design in Los Angeles. I don’t know their workflow exactly, but they worked very nicely when I was playing with them.