GT 555M Issue on Alienware X14

Hi

can’t seem to launch FTE on the alienware X14 even when selecting Nvidia gt 555m as the main Card. All 3d settings in NVIDIA menu seem correct. I updated all drivers.

I hear that perhaps forcing the computer to only use Nvidia card and bypass integrated graphics through a Dos command might solve the issue. but not sure what that command might be? gt 555 is already set as primary card on all other visible settings within Windows.

many thanks

Check the BIOS to see if there are any options to select the card there.
What error are you getting when it tries to start up? What driver version are you using?

Not sure if it’ll help, but did you use the auto driver picker on their website? Or did you grab the driver for your card? May or may not help on your end, but I couldn’t launch Touch for my life when I first switched over, and turned out the auto detect on the nVidia website was grabbing a weird driver for me. It’s worth a shot! Hope it works out.

Thanks guys, I had checked Bios but no option there, and had downloaded drivers in various ways just to make sure but none worked. I Tried to check both things again just now and no luck.

I used to get an error message talking about the graphics card not being suitable, but recently stopped even getting that message. Pretty much nothing happens when I launch. (although the process appears to be running in the task manager.

If i try to launch the PRO version instead of FTE it seems to at least get to the point where Im asked to log in or enter the key.

I run an AI media server on the same machine with no issues

Hmm, are you using multiple monitors or loading a pre-made project? I know an example is that Ableton sync environment opens up in perform mode with nothing playing, so it looks like TD hasn’t started until you move your mouse around randomly and hit escape.

That error you mention was the same I got till I found the specific driver for my card on my own, but you might have something else going on.

Also strange that the Pro version boots up and the FTE doesn’t. Maybe try re-installing FTE?

The fact that Pro gets you to the Key Manager and FTE doesn’t is really strange. I would recommend completely uninstalling TouchDesigner FTE from the Control Panel > Programs and Features. There may be something messed up with your install.

After removing everything, start over and see what happens.

Hi guys

so I tried uninstalling both pro and FTE, re-downloading FTE and installing it again but still same issue. Ever since i updated the drivers i no longer get an error message. But still nothing appears on screen. (not using dual monitor either and video settings are to computer monitor only)

every time i run touch designer, (either with integrated graphics or with Nvidia card) it appears as a zero CPU *32 process in taks manager, every time i try to launch it more touch designer processes are added but nothing appears on screen.

Touch player launches without problems.

Im running windows 7 64bit

thanks for the help so far!

That’s strange for sure. Do you know which exact driver you’re using? Maybe down grading to the previous driver release might solve it.

Yeah, I would uninstall the graphics driver and reinstall. You should find out which driver you are using and try to get the most recent one from nvidia.com.

I am using 301.42 on the same laptop configuration with no issues at all. No bios mods, far as I know factory configuration, has worked with several builds of FTE

Hi Giani,

Have you had any luck getting TouchDesigner to run? We posted a newer build on August 1st you might want to try.

regards