Multiple Outputs

Hi,

Someone probably already asked this, or the answer might be too simple for the question to be asked but… here it goes :

I plan to use TouchDesigner for an event where there will be like 8 outputs, which need to be syncronized :

• 4 DVI outputs with a 1024*768 resolution (which will be mapped on led structures)
  • 4 DVI outputs with a full hd resolution (which will be displayed on standard screens around the structures)

When I see building projections that use more than 40 projectors, I guess that’s not a problem.

I just need to figure out what is the best solution to get those 8 DVI outputs smoothy working together. Do I need to use a “very big output” wich will “sum” all the resolutions and then use a sort of splitter ? Do you have any recomendations ?

Thank you !

What about using two nvidia quadro ? Any feedback would be appreciated :slight_smile:

thanks a lot !

Hey,
To avoid tearing you’ll need to not mix resolutions on a single GPU. So my suggestion would be to use two computers (or a single huge computer using GPU affinity). Use splitters like Matrox Dual Head 2 Gos or DataPath X4 devices to split each output into 2 outputs. Use a cheaper computer as your control computer which sends out the frame number/data to the other to computers using UDP to keep them in sync. TouchDesigner doesn’t yet support hardware sync cards like the Nvidia G-Sync. But as you can see from the huge projections that have been done, that isn’t necessary in all cases.
Yes using Quadros is a good idea because you can use the Video Editing Profile (with Aero off) to avoid tearing which Windows 7 drivers introduces in the default setup.
If you are doing 60hz you’ll need what are called Active Displayport to DVI converters (which require USB power) to handle the conversion to dual-link DVI.

Hope this helps.

Thank you a lot. I’ll check into that.

Apparently, 8 outputs can be obtained with a single computer using 2 NVidia Quadros NVS.

In the “Downloads” Section it’s written that those cards are not supported.

Is that still true ?

Because it’s not written in the “more details” (ie: wiki / system requirements page).

Thanks again

They are still unsupported. NVS cards are for business applications, not high end 3d rendering