ASUS N75SL & Macbook Pro

Hey folks,

Because TouchDesigner doesn’t work on the Mac OS - I simply have to buy myself a PC (and No, i don’t want to use Bootcamp). I have looked at the ASUS N75SL laptop, but i would like to talk with you guys first. Will this run TouchDesigner without any problems?

Specs:

Intel Core i7 2.2GHz (4-core)
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M (2 GB DDR3 SDRAM)
17.3" LED (1920 x 1080, Full HD)

What do you think?

Well, that’s my first question. The second one is about the actual performance. I use a Macbook Pro when producing/performing music. Is it possible to somehow connect these two computers (network?) in a live performance so that the PC syncs to the music played on my MBP? I use Ableton as my main DAW.

Maybe it’s possible to connect both computers to a mixing desk?

Thanks.

Hey Faktor,

That PC will run Touch in the future, but it seems like there are a few issues with the newly released 600 series of Geforces that cause it to not work yet. I expect they will be fixed in a future driver release though. In all other respects yes it will run Touch, although I’m not sure what the performance of a 635 is vs. a 560 or 580.

There are many ways to sync the computers together, Ableton Live is one of them.

Thanks for your interest.

Thank you for the answer, malcolm!

So i suppose i will have to wait for the drivers (or just buy another laptop). Sounds great that there’s many ways to sync two computers. But in Ableton, how is this possible? some sort of plug-in?

Check out this article for more information

derivative.ca/wiki077/index. … le=Ableton

Amazing!

Thanks!!

Well, because the 635M doesn’t work that well on TD right now i will have to buy another one :slight_smile:

I found another laptop from ASUS (X73SV), cheaper and with lighter hardware:

Intel Core i5 2.4GHz (2-core)
6 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M (1 GB DDR3 SDRAM)
17.3" LED Display 16:9 (1600 x 900 HD+)

I’m quite unsure about the i5 2.4GHz on this one, too slow? It’s only 2-core. The graphics, well, 1 GB should be enough?

Depends what you want to do. The main thing that extra cores will do will allow you to play more movies at the same time. Similarly, 1GB of memory being fine depends on how much texture operations you plan to do.