Coffee Lake and 1070 with touchdesigner ...

Im thinking of buying a new laptop with specs like this:

NVidia 1070 or 1080
32 Gb ram
G-sync
Core i7-8700K 8th gen Coffee Lake
15 inch

How does the gtx 1070 or the 1080 work with touchdesigner? I think I will go with the 1070 though because of portability.

Any thoughts regarding ram 32 GB 3000 Mhz vs 2666 Mhz, Harddrive etc.

Thanks

Beware that if your 1070/1080 is of the ‘MAXQ’ variety, it will be underclocked compared to a full desktop version, and will behave approximately like a desktop card one tier below. Honestly it all depends on what you are doing. A 1070 in my desktop rig rolls through even 4K outputs of certain projects just fine, and typically for 1080p outputs I try to optimize my projects to hit 120FPS, just so I have wiggle room when running on other systems. With laptops, you’re more likely to run into some bottleneck issues with hard drives too, especially if your boot and storage are on a single drive.

I have the origin slim with the 6gb 970M and it is pretty powerful for a slim laptop. 16gb of CPU RAM is probably fine. I rarely ever find RAM to be a performance bottleneck for TouchDesigner. The origin is nice because it comes with an mSATA boot drive, and then I put in a second 1TB SSD into it, and between the two of them, I can’t get quite a lot of movie playback done (for a laptop).

Coffee lake will be fine as far as I can tell. G-sync sounds cool, but I don’t believe it has any practical effect on working with TouchDesigner last I heard, so if you can get a different machine without it and save some money (or get better specs), I’d do that.

re RAM: 2666mhz is prob fine, again, RAM isn’t used for a ton of throughput. You generally end up reading stuff of disks and sending data to the GPU more than you put data in RAM. Also your CPU will bottleneck before your RAM speed will if you’re doing a lot of procedural geometry.