Radeon Pro SSG gpu 2tb texture mem (work with TD?)

Hi All,

There is a new Radeon gpu. The Pro SSG with 2tb texture memory for $7000 (release date sept 13 2017)

pcworld.com/article/3099964/ … s-gpu.html

So the big question is… will it work with Touch?
Is there any reason to think it would or wouldn’t?
Has anyone got their hands one?
I’m seriously considering purchasing one for TD
but would like to get any info (or speculation) that is out there prior to deciding to purchase or not.

thanks
jim

That looks pretty nifty. Could be quite useful is saving CPU overhead for movie file reading, playing movies backwards, and more. Definitely curious as well. Wonder if nVidia has anything similar up their sleeve.

Has anybody tried this yet? I have some projects that very quickly use up all of my GPU RAM with Cache TOP… 2TB would solve so many problems!!!

Anybody from Derivative know if it should work or not, even in theory?

It’s basically another SSD, and AMD gives an API to read more quickly from SSD to the GPU. So this doesn’t give you access to more GPU RAM. Just an SSD that can read quicker into GPU memory in theory.
It would be limited in usefulness to fully uncompressed videos, or Hap with the secondary compression disabled (and other codecs that require no CPU level decompression).

It is definitely interesting, but right now TD won’t make use of it. Maybe one day when there is enough demand. The main thing would need to be video playback situations that can’t be solved with m.2/NVMe SSD solutions.