POINT GREY - ZEBRA 2

Hi,

I am trying to connect a point Grey Zebra 2 (GigE Camera) to Touch designer. I can see the camera on the list but videoIn top gives me this error unable to start device capture.

Any idea?

Camera Reference ptgrey.com/products/zebra2/zebra2_camera.asp

are you using point grey’s direct-show (oops corrected from directX) driver or their normal one? the former has a better chance of getting seen by Touch.

Any luck with DirectShow?

I’ve got an old Point Grey Dragonfly that I will try out too, once i find a firewire card.

I remember trying about six years ago but their directshow driver never worked properly for me at the time. Because they aim their product to run with their special driver with lots more flexibility than driectshow, they probably never put that much work into compatibility.

I think they rightly assume that their normal customer is writing custom software rather than to use with an established directshow application.

it would be nice to have native support for PG cameras in touch as I think they are a bit nicer than the ImagingSource ones. And they are Canadian too. :slight_smile: I understand that you’d be coding all day and all night if you implemented every little request that pops up on the forum.

Rod.

We’ve tried to get hardware from them to do exactly that but they gave us the cold shoulder. If there are a number of you out there that own their cameras (ie. their customers) and contact them with a request for support in TouchDesigner, maybe they’ll warm up to lending us a camera or two for the time it takes to implement native support. Their camera lineup is pretty amazing…

+1 for hoping this happens. Their cameras are indeed excellent. We use BlackFly and Flea cameras for IR only tracking.

@Ben, if I loan you a Blackfly would you use it to write native ops? Their FlyCapture SDK is free and well documented.

I contacted them about 2 months ago telling them that there is a large userbase craving their cameras for touch. They seemed keen. I’d recommend derivative ask again.

I’ll write to them again too. I would probably buy one of their new cameras and I have bought several of their old ones through my former employers.

rod.

Has there been any movement on this? I’m about to return a couple BlackFlys because of the lack of support.