Touch Pipe Port Question

Hi,

I am trying to use PipeIn and PipeOut CHOPS correctly. I am trying to send scripts from one Touch instance to another. It seems to work well when it is a unilateral connection but when I have a bilateral connection it works fine until I save it and open again.

For one instance:
PipeOut port 7000 (default)
PipeIn port 7002

For another instance:
PipeOut port 7002
PipeIn port 7000 (default)

It works ok after I make it… doesn’t work if I save and open again. I open both at same time using batch file. I am not sure what I am doing wrong… could anyone point out what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!

Hey Leo,
I just tried a simple example and it worked. Open up these two files and press the send script button on each PipeOut. Do you see the status bar at the top change?

What exactly isnt working for you. Is the node going yellow and saying ‘no connection’, or is it connecting but the script sending isn’t working?

Also which build are you using?
out.3.toe (1.21 KB)
out.2.toe (1.38 KB)

hey Leo,

I currently have an update problem which Derivative hasn’t addressed yet. You should try and load both files, then turn on the icon display on all those pipes, and make sure you see them (i.e. split your desktop so you always have a little window framing those pipes). If you still have a problem, then it’s something else.

d

Actually I fixed that bug last week. The PipeIn CHOP will run incoming scripts without being forced to cook (it cooks every frame no matter what now).

Don’t forget to turn on the ‘Allow Incoming Scripts’ checkbox in the PipeIn though.

Another tip that isn’t well documented is that when sending scripts over Pipe CHOPs, you should turn off queuing in the Pipe In CHOP. Queuing works well for streaming channel data, but has been known to cause problems when sending scripts.

Hi Ben,

I tried using your attachment. When I first opened it, it was giving error and I fed in a constant and it was ok. But when I saved it as different name and open again. It says no connection. I am using TouchDesigner 068 Build 522

Hey Leo, you are opening up both files correct? Whats the state of the other .toe file at this point?

i used a batch file:
@echo off
set TOUCH_TEXT_CONSOLE=1
set TOUCH_NO_SINGLE_CPU_TIMER=1
set APPPATH=C:\Program Files\Derivative\TouchDesigner068\bin
start C:/Testing/InstanceA.toe
start C:/Testing/InstanceB.toe
exit

at first i used out.2.toe and out.3.toe instead of InstanceA.toe and InstanceB.toe

Are you playing forward in both files?

Also, try turning off the Windows Firewall in the Security Center. It ‘should’ ask you to “Unblock” TouchDesigner, but stranger things have happened.

ah thank you got it going!

What was the solution in the end?

turned off windows firewall and another firewall program. Not sure which one solved it though.