any old limit on the length of strings?

I’m about to implement a sort of parser, which starts by taking an entire DAT and converting it to a single string, then echos it

and the script that called it will then go through all the args in that very long string (as I don’t need to worry about carriage returns and want to allow the user to write on any line)

I know in houdini there used to be this silly 255 chars limitation on strings lenght upon which I’ve banged my head suddendly at some point, or command line length, can’t remember exactly.

Is there such a thing in Touch or can I go ahead and be confident that if I echo “$mystring_20000_characters_long” it will work?

tx
d

I believe you are save. Try something like that:

set help = `execute("help")`
echo $help >DAT:/text1

you will see that the complete contents shows up there - about 1299 characters.

cheers
markus

This was a command line limit. This was present in touch as well, but Rob? gave this some more headroom about a year ago. Don’t remember any numbers, maybe you can find it in the release notes (might be 033 or 044).

Generally if I need to send large amounts of text from another app I write it to a txt file and read it into DATs …

AK

that’s cool.

how do you pipe text into a text dat from script?

d

there’s a command line limit of 1024… since this is a recurring issue, I will look into getting rid of this…

Selina

Hey Dani,

piping text into a text DAT is quite easy:

clean out DAT and pipe text into it:

set text = more text
echo $text >DAT:/text1

or append text to a text DAT:

set text = more text
for i=0 to 10
     echo $text >>DAT:/text1
end

Hope that helps