drawing lines

Hello,

I’m new to TD and I’ve been wondering how its possible to draw lines like on attached pictures with TD?

How can this be achieved?
I guess its particle generator + line

Any help is highly appreciated,

Thanks
Screen shot 2011-10-29 at 7.58.53 PM.png

Hi there,

Not sure if this is efficient but you could achieive that type of thing with a circle SOP, a grid SOP and a copy SOP. Also, take a look at the “look at” (no pun intended) property of the copy SOP.

Hope that helps.

Best,
Adam

Hey Adam,

I took a look at those sops and I was able to copy cricles in a grid, but haven’t made it possible to come further than that…

How can you make a circle grid and place quads on radius like on the picture?

Thanks

do you know how the original was made? if there is source code, you might be able to learn more about the process and replicate it in touchdesigner.

other things to consider would be stuff like, How do you want it to move etc.?

one way to get started would be to make up some attempts in touchdesigner then post them in this thread so others can take a look and help you get where you want to go.

rod.

Here’s a quick SOPs example that copies quads onto a circle template.

QuadsOnRadius.tox (1.08 KB)

Hey,
I was thinking along the same lines as ben. Again, I’m not sure on the efficiency but it seems to run pretty well on my lappy.

Here’s another example with a couple of copy nodes.
cogs.tox (2.36 KB)

Wow, thats awesome.

Thanks to both.

How is it possible to have random / thinner sizes of rectangular width / height like on image in the middle of the circle?

Here’s 2 ways of varying size, 1 just the thickness and the other the whole rectangle.

Varying just the thickness matches your reference image best, the chopi command (chop index) is there to show a different way of modifying sizes.

The thickness variation is accomplished by a copy using “transform cumulative”, which is set now to .9 - try different numbers and see what happens. Then, the other key part is using the Sweep SOP with “Cycle Type” set to “Cycle Primitives”. Since there are 10 primitives created in the Copy SOP and 20 points you see the size cycle repeated once.

As for efficiency, Copy and Sweep SOPs are fine for limited geometry, but can very quickly bog down if you’re feeding them complex models or creating lots of duplicates. Using “instancing” in the GEO Component is a much faster way to create copies, there are lots of examples you can search in the forum and wiki.
QuadsOnRadius.2.toe (4.85 KB)