Kinect and VRPN

Anyone know of an existing way to configure Touch as VRPN client ? Specifically I’m trying to read FAAST Kinect data as a stream. I have OSCeleton input working, but the UI and options in FAAST would be nice to have.

cs.unc.edu/Research/vrpn/

projects.ict.usc.edu/mxr/faast/

sigh :slight_smile:

I’d forgotten about VRPN!

I’m sure there’s a RFE from me from about 8 years ago to have a VRPN client in Touch.

there’s a nice-looking tutorial here for VRPN that seems to explain it better than the VRPN pages…

[vrgeeks.org/vrpn/tutorial---use-vrpn](http://www.vrgeeks.org/vrpn/tutorial---use-vrpn)

As far as I can tell, it would require some code to be written by somebody, either in C++,Java or one of the dot net things like C# etc.

Unless the protocol is something that a TCPIP DAT might pick up in a legible way, something like this might be our best bet…

[code.google.com/p/vrpn-osc-gateway/](http://code.google.com/p/vrpn-osc-gateway/)

from a quick look at the link, it would still need some tweaking but potentially it could be an executable that acts as a VRPN client then re-sends the data as OSC messages. not sure if it can send stuff back to the devices etc. but could be great. I have a bunch of vintage VR things that I fished out of the trash when a lab closed down in Japan years ago. It would be fun to press them back into service.

I also found GlovePIE good for getting old trackers working with Touch via OSC.

Rod.

Hey Rod,

Thanks for the info ! Seems like there’s a few solutions that are so close . . . but still require some code building, which is beyond me.

I played around with the VRPN/OSC Gateway, couldn’t get anything to happen, I think you are right it will need some tweaking.

A bit of quick searching on GlovePIE and I couldn’t find anything about how to hook up to a VRPN server.

Hmmm, well, I am going to continue on with OSCeleton

Thanks again,
Jeff

good luck with it. I am going to start getting back into kinect madness after I get through a big exam on thursday. :slight_smile:

Rod.

Hi! I´m resurrecting this old topic to ask if someone was able to successfully receive vrpn data in TD. I´m trying to find a workaround to receive Vicon tracking data in TD. If someone could point a direction I would be really grateful!