Freezing after update

I just recently updated Touchdesigner, hadn’t updated in a while because I was on hiatus. Now it will randomly freeze for no apparent reason. Not a CPU overload, or frame rates dropping super low, GUI just freezes and I can’t even exit properly. Never had this problem before, and it was running fine for a week before I updated. Now it’s freezing at least once an hour. Any ideas?

Running build 2018.25850 on Lenovo E460, core i5, 2.4GHz, 8GB Ram, an intel GPU.

Sorry we don’t have any information on this. Can you update your Intel GPU drivers? If it is freezing and hangs, go to the Task Manager, right-click on the TouchDesigner process and select “Create Dump File”. Zip up this large file and send it to support via dropbox or some file sharing service and we can take a look at it.

Also, perhaps first you can try the newly posted 2018.26450 and see if it fairs better for you. Thanks for your patience.

Hello Ben,

I have the same problem,

It happens especially when I use the camera in the network and when I navigate from when level/to/another, even with the bookmark.

I have a razor blade GTX1060, but I recently observe the same problem on another machine 1080TI.

The bug disappear if I install previous versions of 99. Don’t know when the problem started appearing, but it’s impossible for me to perform live with the newest versions of TD :confused:

I also suspect that my framerate drops. After a while or a few freeze, my framerate gets stuck at 20fps and never come back to realtime. I have to exit the app and then it comes back to normal until the next bug (not responding)…

Hope we can find a fix!
Thank you, all the best
C++

Hey, when you say the previous version works, which version is that? That’ll help us narrow this down.

Like I said I don’t know when it started to happen, but it works with the versions of 2017
TouchDesigner099.2017.4060.

Hey guys!

I just found a turn around for the bug. I saved my projects component as tox files. Load the files in a new project of the latest version of 99 and uninstall geforce experience on my razor.

Everything is back to normal and I’m happy to use my the latest version of TD for my next show :smiley:

Yeah Geforce Experience is turning out bad for many. But now that that is uninstalled, can you try .toe files again.

Re-slowing down. Did you have a lot/any of floating windows open? Each floating window really drops FPS on optimus based laptops in the Official builds.

And in exp builds multiple open windows works better ? W/out a huge perf hit ?

We’ve turned off vsync for any floating windows that TD creates, so that helps avoid the vsync slowdowns. Window COMP windows will still have VSync on by default though.

Yeah I’ve notice already that the framerate drops with a lot of Windows open with this build but my problem was different. I am aware about the v-sync too I don’t always enable it, but thanks for mentioning that parameter.

It seemed to be related to GeForce Experience. I have tried the old .toe file and its fine now so everything is cool. But I also have a second theory. It could related to my soundcard Dante. This project is build using over 10 audio channels + OSC passing trough Ethernet. When the device is not connected, TouchDesigner is looking for it and I have to either to deactivate de ‘audiodevice in chop’ or run Audinate virtual soundcard in the background.

I can’t wait to try the new beta! Congrats on that guys!!! Physics woot woot :mrgreen:
it’s like Christmas :laughing:

So with Experimental you should be able to turn vsync settings back to “Controlled by Application” in Nvidia settings and now TD’s floating windows will not make a huge performance hit and your Window COMP windows can be vsync’d to keep from tearing.

Let us know how it works for you.

My project does’nt open in the experimental build. It freeze as soon as I try to navigate.