Kinect setup for MacOS Sierra

Hi guys,
Is there a way to set up Kinect 1 for MacOs Sierra?
I’m currently running 10.12.2 version.
Thank you,
Marco

2 Likes

At this time there is no support for Kinect on macOS through the Kinect Operators. TouchDesigner uses the Microsoft official Kinect SDKs which are only available for Windows, sorry.
You can send Kinect Data to TouchDesigner from another Windows computer or look at open source Kinect support on macOS to get something going.

Any plans on getting MacOS Kinect support? What about through the C++ TOP? Think it could work through there?

Also waiting for kinect on macOs, my solution at the moment is to use NI-Mate. With the free version you have all the skeleton parameters but the OSC address lack the /. The solution I found is to use Osculator to reroute the OSC, adding / in front of address. Working very well since.
Jacques

You can syphon from a processing sketch using openkinect library by daniel shiffman.
github.com/shiffman/OpenKinect-for-Processing

Can you tell me where I could find more information to do this, or how I could get started?

I can already get the Kinect going and the script to work in Processing, but I am just unsure of how to ‘syphon’ this into TD

Thanks in advance!

Hugh

Hello,
Concerning kinect on mac with TD, here are my conclusions in decreasing order:
— use windows on PC or BootCamp, you have direct image and skeleton from kinect 1 & 2
— use delicode Ni-Mate, with paying version you have images via syphon and skeleton via OSC for kinect 2 & 1, with free version, you have to rewrite osc sending each time and you have not all images but it can work.
— use Processing but skeleton works only with Processing 2 (not 3) and kinect 1 (Simple Open NI). With Processing 3 you can get image from kinect 1 & 2 via Syphon (Open Kinect for Processing).
Here is a processing program I made for a performance. Processing receive depth image from kinect, compute it with shader and send treated image via Syphon to Isadora for tracking, Isadora sending back tracking info via OSC. A little bit tricky but it worked.
Here are some images
vimeo.com/194632092
Jacques
testShader11Contours.pde.zip (3.16 KB)

Hi I tried with processing and it work, and just to get another option I am trying with Ni Mate free version, it seems to work, but it is a little slow like 10fps. And When I create an OSC In in TD, I only get 1 channel, the sync with ni mate not all the skeleton. Then I tried OSCulator it can get all the skeleton but I don’t understand how to reroute the data.

Thanks for the help

Hello,
For skeleton, if you use directly NI-Mate, you ave to add a slash before each OSC address. No save with free version but only 3’ to do it. I use it for a workshop with children, its very stable.
If you use OSCulator, reroute OSC, adding a slash in the address.
With Ni-Mate and TD in perform mode, I have around 20-25 fps. With OSCulator the lag is not very usable.

Any plans on getting MacOS Kinect support?
I will use Bootcamp for now, what kinect should I buy? Any specific hardware version that is compatible? What would you recommend as mid hi end, not the most expensive if possible. Budget is tight. Thank you for your support.