14 ms. rendering a window by default?

Hi,

I have a container with a bunch of buttons and other containers in it.

the performance monitor (stats attached) shows that none of my buttons/containers is cooking, nothing at all. yet, it also says that it’s taking 14 ms. to render a window, which is a huge overhead since the container is full screen not occluded nor occluding other windows, and running in perform mode.

that basically leaves about 2 ms. before the system drops below 60 fps.

I actually just tested and the same happens with a new touch file. Is this normal or is there some card setting that would make the system go faster? While I understand that probably 30 fps is a more realistic target frame rate, I seem to remember that a few years back Touch ran close to 120 fps when first started, so maybe I’m missing something.

I’m running on a 64bit system which has 32 GB of ram, 12 3.50GHz procs, and a Nvidia quadro K-5100M - it should be more or less as fast as they come.
stat.txt (4.46 KB)

What you’re seeing is due to Vsync. Vsync will try to lock your TouchDesigner window to your monitors refresh rate or half of it. So it’ll try to lock to 60 or 30 in most cases. When it does this, you’ll see what you’re describing, where a window takes up 14ms even though its not doing anything. That’s because you’re probably using about 1-2 ms of real work, and the window is basically just placeholding the other 14ms to get to 16ms.

You should think about the rendering and windowing times in performance monitor as placeholders who will try to fill up the extra space to get you right to 16ms or will drag you down to 33ms. The best way to actually test how much headroom you have, is to keep adding things to your project (like Hog CHOPs or more pixel intensive processing by upping the resolution on your generator TOPs), and seeing how long it takes before you start dropping frames at that point.