import vectors into TD

Hi.
Does anyone know of a way to use adobe illustrator to create art and import as vectors? I’m trying to import as vector art. got off of the phone with derivative and was told that this may not be possible and so I ask you guys. Any ideas?
Thankx

I never tried it myself, but you can export from Adobe Illustrator to a SVG file.

You can drag SVG files into TD, then they will be loaded into a SVG TOP.

You could use the XML DAT to pull all of the data out of an SVG file, parse into a table, then use the add SOP to convert into geometry.

What Matthew said would be better ^

You lose all of the benefits of the path if you use SVG TOP, as it basically just rasterizes it for you. If it’s all you need it could be fine though, but I usually need to do stuff with the SVG and find the 3d route better.

cool.

Thanks!

Very Helpful Matthew, Is there an example file anywhere where this technique is being used?

Thanks!

Hi Najrok,

I don’t currently have anything demonstrating this. XML can be a bit tricky to parse, so it’s hard to build out an example file that will work for every circumstance - the devil is always in the details.

It might be nice to have a native SOP for just these kinds of situations, if you’re looking for something a little more robust it might be putting this on the request for features page.

Hey all,

I’m looking into importing illustrator elements as vectors (to be able to scale elements without pixelisation).

I tried the SVG TOP but all i get is a black rectangle…

Any news since 2016 ?

Thanks,
Flo :smiley:

have you given this a read yet?

[url]https://matthewragan.com/2016/02/10/the-mysterious-svg-top-touchdesigner/[/url]

1 Like

Ah perfect, now it works !
Thanks,

Flo :stuck_out_tongue:

Is there anybody who can tell how to get this svg file into a table. I’m stuck on having the xml code in some dats. When outputing it to a table i’m getting integers which has noting to do with the shape of the svg. Thanks

Hey Bart,

I uploaded a toe file where I am pulling in an SVG file and getting it into a table. From the table data you could potentially run some python that would parse the d attribute string into a better format of data. The d attribute string has all the information for how to draw the points of the shape.

I am not familiar enough with Regular Expressions but writing some would be quite useful to parse the d attribute.

It would be awesome if Touch had a module that could pull in shapes from SVG and let you transform the points.
svg.toe (3.71 KB)

Hi Mathew !
I was trying to use sop to svg and I cannot seem to be able to install the module svg write.
I installed python 3.5.1, opened the module path in Touchdesigner 099 but i still get syntax error.
TouchDesigner 64-Bit 099 Build 2019.15840 compile on Fri May 31 18:04:58 2019
Python 3.5.1+ (default, Apr 21 2016, 11:06:11) [MSC v.1900 64 bit (AMD64)]

python >>> pip install --target=“C:\Program Files\Derivative\TouchDesigner099\bin\Lib\site-packages” svgwrite
File “”, line 1
pip install --target=“C:\Program Files\Derivative\TouchDesigner099\bin\Lib\site-packages” svgwrite
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Hi @goloembers did you also get a local version of python installed on your machine?