enttec open dmx usb

Hey,

wondering about a couple things:

• do you have a second dmx device that can act as a dmx input so you can see what the seperate channels are actually sending?
  • is there a monitor app you could use to see if your DMX device is receiving any data from TouchDesigner
  • are you using a non-commercial version of TouchDesigner which is limited to 32 DMX channels and your light needs more then 32 DMX channels or is the address 1 above the first 32 DMX channels?

cheers
Markus

I’ll have to track down a second device (or build one) for dmx input. I think qlight controller can receive dmx on the opendmx device as well, but once again I’ll probably need to source a second one. I AM using the non-commercial version of the software, but my light has a maximum of 20 channels, but I’ve tried it on the 10, 12, and 20 channel modes all with zero luck.

Any updates on Open DMX? Mine DIY FTDI based controller doesn’t work. But it work as Enttec Open DMX with another software such Q Light Controller and Freestyler DMX.

Hi there,
I am also interested in openDMX usb, cause I did not get it to work,
did anybody solve the issue?

1 Like

No change to report. We haven’t been able to revisit support for this device in the last few months.

I found a workaround solution through midi (not for commercial purpose),
using MidiOut CHOP → LoopMIDI ->FreeStyler

LoopMidi simulate midi cable connection via software,
tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html
FreeStyler is a light control software that convert midi signal to dmx
users.telenet.be/freestylerdmx/

So far is doing his job

Hi Gionniz

I’m trying to use this work around, can you give me any more details on how to set it up?

For those using mac, inspired by @gionniz solution I did something similar using the mac IAC Virtual Midi and TD Midi Out CHOP.
On “Audio MIDI Setup” go to “Window/Show Midi Studio”. Double click the IAC Driver to open its window and check “Device is online”.
On touch designer select the IAC as the output device.
Now you can connect a constant to a math (to control value range) and a midi output chop. Naming is important so on the constant channel name should be like ch1c1 for channel 1 controller 1, or ch1n1 for channel 1 note 1.
You can use this to control Open DMX compatible software like JV Lighting DMX Control.

Hello everyone,

Finally found this solution GitHub - satoruhiga/TouchDesigner-OpenDMXOut from Satoru Higa.

Worked for me!

2 Likes

Please can provide a step by step guide how install and use?

1 Like

Would be great to have more info about this. What do I do with it? Is it cross-platform? Etc.

I think the idea is that you uninstall the default drivers that get installed when you plug in the OpenDMX USB, and instead manually install one of these VCP Drivers (Virtual COM Port) for the USB Device that shows up when you plug in the OpenDMX USB, after which you might be able to send DMX out of it by using the “Generic Serial” Option in DMXOut CHOP and choosing that COM port.

On that website Satoru links to, there are drivers listed for MacOS and Windows, so it might be cross platform. Only one way to find out! Try it yourself and let us know what you discover.

I am posting this here because this seems to be the most recent/active thread about the Enttec Open DMX USB.

As far as I can see from the forums it looks like this is not supported by TD?

I had one laying around and tried it the other day. Well, it was worth a try :wink:

@ben We just found how to do it :slight_smile:

You just need to install Freestyler DMX (rock the microphone :microphone::microphone:) and it will install “Art-Net to DMX.exe”. The process is the following:

1. Connect your amazing Open Enttec

2. Open Art-Net to DMX

3. Select the correct Interface, the Network adapter to “127.0.0.1”. Be careful because sometimes TD doesn’t catch the Art-Net bridge so just change the “Receive Net” to 1 and then to 0.

With all that you will have the OpenEnttec configured. To finish open the DMXOut CHOP, set it to Art-Net and write the correct network adress. HAVE FUN! :slight_smile:

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-28 at 23.23.15

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-28 at 23.23.31

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-28 at 23.23.44

2 Likes

Hey @Cypher-M I have the same problem with the enttec Open and this seems promising. But I’m on mac and Freestyler DMX seems Windows only. Any hint to a free software that would do the trick on mac? :pray:

I’m in the same spot, I tried to make a similar Art-Net bridge using QLC plus but it simply does not wanna talk to TD. QLC+ says no packets are being received Fromm TD even in passthrough mode.

After checking with ArtNet view it just seems like TD is not outputting Art-Net at all, QLC+ outputs no problem with the same network settings. It’s like a ghost DMXout Chop that won’t output anywhere.

1 Like

No idea, I’ve stopped working with mac since 2018 :confused:

After finagling with network settings for a while I found an easy solution, network settings on the DMX Out chop need to be the following:
IDK why Mac uses localhost instead of a normal IP address but whatever

If you then set up QLC+ on passthrough mode to receive Artnet and output DMX through the ENTTEC it works!

1 Like

Hey Marcus,

did I get that right?
non-comercial license is limited to 32 DMX channels? that means 10 led in RGB :((
didn’t know that.
mhh

@Sirom_VJ TD non-commercial is not limited in DMX output channels or universes.

It may have been back in 2015 (when the post you are responding to was made) but I’m betting that limitation was removed around that time because that’s when I started using it for DMX and I never ran into that limit.

1 Like