Sync instances of FTE / Sync FTE to Midi

Hi guys.

First off, let me congratulate you all on such a great piece of software. Both the team and the larger communities contributions seem to have created something truly epic.

I’m very new to FTE, (about 3 weeks of use, and watching some of the great tutorial vids), so the couple of things I’m about to ask will probably seem very elementary, and also probably re-treading oldground - so appologies in advance.

Both questions are about timing/sync-ing TD. I’ve looked through many of the tutorials, and an awful lot of the forum, but cant quite seem to find the answer…or at least something that I can replicate and make work. (Had a good read of the wikis entries on ableton sync, and also midi and beat dialogs).

1. Can anyone confirm how to setup FTE to sync the main timeline to inoming midi timecode from a sequencer (other than ableton in this particular case). I have mtc coming in (I can see it if i use a midi-IN DAT, so I know the mapper is setup okay), but what I thought was the correct method (hitting the timeline tickbox in the beat dialog) doesn’t do anything.
    If I can’t sync the timeline to an external program this way…can mtc coming into a midi in chop or dat be used to trigger start/stop/sync of a component such as “movie in top” instead? or do i need to get creative with a math function and transform the mtc hex string into something to trigger frames?

2. Can anyne tell me/point me to a tutorial, explaining how to sync the timelines of two instances of FTE that are running on two different networked machines. (Again I know communication is fine between the two, because i can touch out/in successfully from one to the other). On the two boxes I have running at the moment, I don’t want to send my video stream via touch out/touch in from one to another; but have my two touch networks (which should be kinda complex by the time i’m done), running at the same time, with start/stop/sync being controled by one of the machines acting as master.

I know both these questions are kinda the same in a way… but presumed there’s probably a different answer to them both.
Again, sorry if I’ve missed something glaringly obvious in one of the tutorials, but after a couple of weeks I’m none the wiser.

Thanks guys.

Okay…question 2 solved easily. Sending a speed chop over touch out/in chops. Probable facepalm moment, cos it took me so long to try something so fundamental! :blush:

Still no clearer on how to clock with midi though.

hello, i don’t quite understand how sending a speed chop over touch in/out solves your problem 2 … i am having the same question, could you please explain how you do this (sync 2 machines over network)