Replicator and TOPs for instancing textures

Hey Peeps,
i was trying a lot of different things, but iam still missing some basic understanding with replicators in touch. Iam trying to get the texture of the replicator “items” to my geo texture instancing.
What could be a solution?
Thank you very much,
kinds
Alexander
replicator.6.toe (7.03 KB)

see Help-> Operator Snippets.

there’s an example under COMP → Geometry. The 2nd example called “texture instancing”

Hey Nettoyeur,
thats cool, got his one. Only difference is that iam ending with Components not TOPS. I change values for every Component to get different results, but i cant manage it to render TOPS directly. I thought maybee i need a second replicator to generate top inputs for every component iam creating.

sorry only now opened your example.
you need to change the parameter “Instance textures” on the Geo COMP from

item[0-19]

to

item[0-19]/out1

wow cool, thats nice! can i read more about this kind of functions somewhere?
thank your very much for your help!

Well I can explain how to get info like this from the wiki:
for instance if you read the help page of the Geo COMP (go there by clicking the question mark in the topleft of the Geo COMP parameter window), in this paragraph about texture instancing you’ll see what to specify for this “Instance Textures” parameter: "Specify the paths one or more TOP containing the textures to use with the instances. Wildcards and pattern matching is supported. "

Then see wiki page on Network Path and page on Pattern matching to understand that sentence :wink:

So as you already had an ‘out1’ TOP in every COMP, in your case the relative network path from the Geo COMP to the final TOP in every COMP can simply be specified as item[0-19]/out1
And apart from the wiki there is a bunch of learning resources on the Learning TouchDesigner page. Linked on the top of that page, the Tutorials by Matthew Ragan are easy to follow and recommended for beginners.
For instance here is his video tutorial about texture instancing. Some of these are a few years old so UI can look a bit different but same concepts apply.

Hey Thank you very much for really nice answer on that topic!
I gonna have a look to your links, they will help me to understand. Have a good start into your week.