'oscilloscope' look MAT

I’ve been trying to create a look for SOPs that echoes the look of an electron beam in an oscilloscope or vector display, based on the look of Hansi Raber’s great software oscilloscope:
oscilloscopemusic.com/osci.php

I’ve tried this a few ways in the attached project (eg. using a Ramp TOP for colour and a feedback/blur), but the most successful would be using the GLSL code Raber uses in his oscilloscope, which is here (and is pasted in the GLSL MAT in the project):
m1el.github.io/woscope-how/

This is GLSL 1.2 code, and seems to go into the MAT without errors if the MAT is set to GLSL 1.2. But as I’m on a Mac where 1.2 is unsupported, I can’t use it, or even see if it works. I’ve had a go at updating the GLSL - using my absolute beginner’s knowledge - but without much success.

If anyone has any tips on updating the GLSL, or other ways to achieve this look, I’d love any advice (maybe I should be doing it as a GLSL TOP later in the process, not as a MAT?).
oscilloscope look.3.toe (6.24 KB)

2 Likes

Okay, so a little progress - I got the GLSL (from the link below) error free with GLSL 4.1, but running it as a GLSL MAT I’m getting no visible texture.
m1el.github.io/woscope-how/

The vertex shader here seems to produce coordinates, so either I don’t need the vertex shader because I have the SOP already as a basis, or the vertex shader needs to be be fed some coordinates from the object SOP? But which?

The pixel shader here seems to produce the blur/brightness look, but relies on a value in the vertex shader to do so - “vu1”. So I am not sure what to feed the pixel shader instead here - some values derived from the object SOP, to produce brightness or blur at various points?
oscilloscope look.13.toe (7.47 KB)

1 Like